Install higher wattage heater element?

Old 08-17-04, 10:02 AM
bizanshee
Visiting Guest
Question Install higher wattage heater element?

I have a $1500 Caldera spa from Costco. I don't have the model number handy. It's a 4 person spa with a 4kw/1kw flow through heater element that failed. I was wondering if I install a 5.5kw/1.5kw element if it will affect anything other than the current draw of the hot tub? Namely other wiring in the box. I was wondering if the heater element pulls power directly from the power cord before it enters other parts other than relays.
I am running at 110v and may or may not convert to 220 later.
Thanks,
-JD

Old 08-24-04, 07:15 PM
dollarspa
Visiting Guest
Short answer is no

On 110 volts heater change would put you over 20 amp (1.5/5.5 heater pulls
approx 15 amps and pump running on low speed pull approx 5-9 amp and together puts you over 20 amps gfi will trip however on 220 you could change
with little or no problem. David

Old 09-01-04, 03:37 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
'No' is a good answer

The only issue might be the heater relay having a shorter life, but if that was the case, they are spec'ing the parts too closely.

Your numbers aren't adding up; heater elements are usually 230 volts, so the wattage is most likely a 230 spec.

If you aren't getting the heat/ speed of heating you want you probably need to seriously consider the 230 volt option. That should help a lot.

Read (and reread) your manual; that's the best place to determine your options.

At 120volts, what is the recommended circuit ampacity? What gauge is the cord? Does the plug fit a regular outlet, or did you need to install a 20 amp 120 volt receptacle?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: