CGFI amp requirement

Old 08-24-04, 06:42 AM
brombergerj
Visiting Guest
CGFI amp requirement

I had recently received a Leisure Bay Spa, the "Discovery" model as a gift! Isn't that wonderful? Prior to taking delivery I went to the showroom to inquire about electrical requirements for a 240 installation, as my understanding is that it is more efficient. The salesman told me I needed 50 amps. The spa was delivered and I had a trusted electrical guy come by to hook me up. I have a 50 amp breaker in the electrical panel with a 6-3 cable feed (65 ft of it)that connects to a 50 amp GFCI disconnect box; from there is 10-3 (outdoor)wire running to the spa (10ft). She's working fine. However, the electric man advised me to use a 30 amp GFCI breaker in the disconnect box. He claims "if" something were to go wrong that the spa would burn up before the 50 amp breaker shuts down. Don't sound good to me, so I looked at various hardware stores and finally found one at Home Depot for $130! Of course my saftey is a concern, but I may like to save a few bucks here.
Any advise would be appreciated....do I need the 30 amps or am I safe with the 50?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-04, 03:44 PM
Your electrician is trying to cover his butt.

The weak link is that 10-3, which (by code ) is only allowed a 30 amp load.

Your old LBI should have a 30 amp option; that option will keep the jet pump and heater from being on at the same time.

Question is: is the spa set for 30 amp or 50 amp operation?

My suggestion: Set the spa at 30 amp operation and see if you can live with it.
OR
Rewire with a 6-3 cable (of some sort) for that final 10 feet.

As a rule I suggest keeping the GFCI close to the spa; having it 65 feet away means that wire is a radio attenae that can confuse the GFCI and cause nusiance tripping.

Old 09-02-04, 05:39 AM
brombergerj
Visiting Guest
Thanks Steve....To clarify, the GFCI is 10 ft from the spa. So, you suggest if I change the 10-3 to the 6-3 I should be ok and will not require the 30 amp breaker? Upon further reading of the manual, it does state it's a 30 amp. I spoke with someone yesterday about it (not an electrician, but a good background), he says at the service panal, I can change the 50 amp to a 30 amp, although unconventional and get the same protection.

Old 09-04-04, 05:45 PM
You need to determine the amperage mode and whether you want to change it.

Make that decision and bring the wires/breaker into agreement.