strange worm-like algae?

Old 08-24-04, 04:11 PM
pooljen
Visiting Guest
strange worm-like algae?

I have a strange new growth in my below ground concrete pool. In the corners, especially in the deep end, there is an algae that is growing rapidly that looks like little worms! It's very strange. My pool water is totally clear, everything balanced, but my water runs very warm (80-92 degrees) all summer. I have a dark bottom pool plus an automatic cover, so the water has no chance here in sunny california to cool during the summer. I shock the water whenever total chlorine gets high, I brush continuously, and I have a kreepy. I've had this pool for 3 years, never had algae EVER before. But this doesn't look like an algae I've seen described before. It's just on the water line on the grout of the tile, long spaghetti looking form that seems to appear overnight.

I'll start adding phos-free, which I've never done before, but I'd like to know what the heck this stuff is!!! Any thoughts? How can I get rid of it?

Thanks so very much,

Jennie

Old 08-25-04, 04:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I shock the water whenever total chlorine gets high,
lost here, why shock it when the chlorine is high??? should be 1.0 to 1.5
Do you use a 4 in 1 test kit for the pool.Find out what the total Alkalilnnty is here first . 80 to 125ppm for a in ground pool then check the chlorine

ED

Old 08-25-04, 06:14 PM
coolball1
Visiting Guest
I shock the water whenever total chlorine gets high
Total CL (Chloromines)being the key words there. Test your alkalinity and also test your calcium hardness. If you don't have a kit to do these tests, take a sample of your water(about 2 Liters worth) to your local pool store and they can test it for you. It sounds like calcium deposits.

Old 08-25-04, 10:15 PM
pooljen
Visiting Guest
calcium deposits?

Really? They grow and they are brownish green, they seem to appear overnight but they are really creepy looking! Sort of looks like upside down sea anemones, little columnar shaped growths attached to the grout at the water line. They get longer if I leave them alone and will turn into long speghetti looking growths. I believe that I can get rid of it with lots of chlorine and brushing and probably some phos-free to help it not return? But I'm really wanting to know what this is! It's boggling my mind.

Jennie

Old 08-28-04, 08:30 PM
coolball1
Visiting Guest
no, not calcium deposits

with a more detailed description, it's not calcium deposits. I have no idea on what kind of algae it is as long as it's not black you should be able to rid it without much problem. There are algeacides(sp?) you can add to your water to clear this right up. Follow the directions closely and with some brushing, it should rid you of your unwanted guests

Good luck!

Old 08-28-04, 09:12 PM
pooljen
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much

Thanks for your help very much! I'll do the routine and I do trust that it will rid it from my pool. Someday though I will find out what that was, because it's gross! Yuck.

Jennie

Old 08-29-04, 11:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Did you check the alkalinity then the chlorine???

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: