Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Putting a liner in a pickle barrel hot tub

Old 09-07-04, 10:13 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have become the maintenance guy for a private estate, and one job the homeowner wants me to research is lining his hot tub. It's a pickle barrel hot tub that he bought from the Heinz company about 20 years ago (yes, it used to be an actual pickle barrel), but the family hasn't been able to use it for a few years because it leaks so bad. It's about 12 feet in diameter, about 3 1/2 feet deep, and is made out of cypress wood. I know cypress is extremely water tolerant, but it has rotted enough that the hot tub will not hold water any more.

Replacing the boards (that are held together with steel hoops with turnbuckles), has not been an option so far, and would be quite an ordeal to do, and expensive.

I'm trying to maintian the originality of the tub, but cannot come up with anything that would do so inexpensively. I had thought of a spray in liner, similar to the ones that you use for a pickup truck bed, but am concerned that the liner would not adhere to the wood. A plastic pool liner is not an option for the homeowner, and would be diffcult to do anyway.

Even though the homeowner makes more money in one year than I'll ever see in my lifetime, he's trying to do this as inexpensively as possible.

Any suggestions are welcome, and if the moderator feels this thread is appropriate for a different forum, please copy it.

Old 09-07-04, 06:47 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I just went to www.google.com and typed "hot tub liner" into the search window and found many places selling/manufacturing them.

I used to belong to a health club that had a redwood hot tub with a vinyl liner. From the outside it had most of the appearance of a good olde fashioned hot tub, but you lost that feeling once you got inside. The liner had a less than luxurious look and feel, but I'm sure it would stop the leaking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: