Pool Decking Problem

Old 09-13-04, 03:46 PM
sargassoc
Visiting Guest
Pool Decking Problem

This is a repost. . . but I thought I'd try again.

We have a vinyl-lined, aluminum-sided (we believe), in-ground pool with a flanged decking 10.5 inches wide extending around the entire pool. The decking, which is probably made of fiberglass, seems to be an integral part of the pool structure and therefore cannot be detached. Outside the coping, at a level about 2 inches lower, there is bluestone laid in sand.

The previous owners of the house covered the decking with a dreadful bright blue indoor/outdoor carpeting, which besides looking ugly is beginning to fray, although it still adheres pretty well thanks to whatever cement they used. While we know that we could build up the area around the pool, and cover the offending carpeting with new decking, the quote we received for doing this was outlandish-- I mean REALLY outlandish.

The question we have is this: if we pulled up the carpeting and cleaned any surface dirt off the remaining hardened cement, is there a product or material which we could then trowel or otherwise spread on the decking which would provide an attractive, even and safe surface?

We want to be able to landscape further around the pool, but without dealing with this carpeting, it all seems in vain.

Tasia

Old 09-13-04, 05:58 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I had trouble understanding this the first time. Is this the situation?

The fiberglass surface has old hardened adhesive and carpet on it. If you remove the carpet, what will stick to the old adhesive and the fiberglass that will cover it all?

Old 09-13-04, 06:06 PM
sargassoc
Visiting Guest
Decking Clarification

Yes, that's the problem. Because it appears we cannot take this decking off, we don't know how to fix it up short of overlaying wood or Trex-like composite ove rthe current decking. Will anything else adhere to the decking surface so we don't have to build a wood deck?

Tasia

I can post a photo tomorrow

Old 09-15-04, 11:42 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

If I have it right you just want to rework that 10.5" of fiberglass.If you dont have a good boat store by you .
Go http://www.defender.com You will find all kind's of paint for this. From epoxy to Gelkote to Awlgrip in any color. You can add sand to it for a no slip.

ED

Old 09-15-04, 03:32 PM
sargassoc
Visiting Guest
Pictures and Thanks

Ed--

The boat store idea sounds perfect. But just in case I haven't described the situation correctly, here is a link to some pictures.

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=v6pyzim...u&x=0&y=m2kx1o

Tasia

Last edited by sargassoc; 09-15-04 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Wrong URL given
Old 09-15-04, 04:02 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Just pull it off sand it down a little and try the boat paint that is for fiberglass.I would add some paint sand so you dont slip on it.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: