alternatives to a concrete pad

Old 09-20-04, 11:44 AM
auger_in00
Visiting Guest
Question alternatives to a concrete pad

I just purchased a tub, and I'm preparing a site for it's location. I intend to pour a concrete pad, but I seem to remember seeing a product that was designed to go under the tub, and replace the pad. Does anyone have any information on alternatives to a concrete pad?
Thanks for any help.

Old 10-03-04, 04:29 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Auger

Best advice is to check with the local pool and spa dealers in your area. If such a product exists, I am sure they would heave such or know of where to obtain a product like you described.

I also retitled your question to more accurately describe the question. Originally titled install tub in ground. Actually meaning installing tub on an alternate type of pad than a cement one. Hopefully, retitling the question will provide additional possibilties to locate such a product when other members read your question, etc.

Check back on your question several more times. Other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, ideas and or suggestions.

Kindly use the reply button to add additional information or questions. If by now you are still checking in to the topic and your question. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically. As has my reply to your question moved the question back to the top of the list...

Regards & Good Luck
Sharp Advice
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 10-04-04, 06:51 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
My Hot Springs manual had installation instructions including several ways to support the spa. Check your manual or do a search online. And as Mr. Advice mentioned... talk to your local pool & spa store and get some free advice (don't forget to buy some of your chemicals & supplies from them... they've got to make a living too).

My guess is that you could use pre-cast concrete pads or a properly constructed pressure treated deck. I even had a friend put his on a bed of crushed stone. It was tough on the feet, but it was cheap and seemed to do a good job of supporting the spa.

Old 10-18-04, 10:13 AM
spaguy
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Cheap fix

Yes there are a number of commercial alternatives available to you, however, they are a true waste of money.

This is the easiest non-concrete method I have seen, and it is more than sufficient.

First, measure the actual base of the tub. This is called the "foot print".
Add 6 inches in one direction, and 9" in the other. Example: if left to right measures 60" add 6" for a total left to right dimention of 66".
Do the same front to back but add 9".

Now go to the kitchen and get a cup of flour, the garage for a handful of long nails and a shovel, a hammer, a saw, and 4 "treated" 2x4's, a 4 ft. level, and then back out to the tub site.

Decide how you want the tub to sit; which way is front? place a small dot of flour there.

Next measure your dimentions, which you got in step 1 above, and cut the 2x4's to those lengths.

You should now have 2 long 2x4's and 2 short ones.lay them out on the ground so that the long ones are parrallel then slide the short ones in between them to form a "square" or "rectangle". Nail them together, 3" galvanized Screws are better, but 16 penny nails will do.

Now place your "box" where you want the tub, keeping in mind the spot where you marked "front".

Now set a level on each side to find where to dig. the bubble will go up on one end. Lift the other end of the level until the bubble returns to center, and memorize the gap under the end of the level you lifted.

Set the level back down and watch the bubble go up again. Follow the bubble, as this is the end to dig out... and you will dig the same as the gap you memorized... remember, this is NOT rocket science, you just want that blasted bubble to stay put in the middle and not run off on you.

Do this on every side until the frame is "level".

Now just fill the frame with "pea" gravel, or "crushed clay", or what is found at concrete truck facilities as "waste rock".

Either way, your tub will sit fine, and you will be enjoying it tonight... Oh yeah... with the hundred or so you saved from not nuying that commercial base... invite your friends over and buy pizza and soda for everyone, and show off your new toy!

Hmmm.... that sounds nice.... Now... what's the number to pizza nut, again?

Have fun!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: