pool light

Old 10-13-04, 12:58 AM
missjules1982
Visiting Guest
Unhappy pool light

we just moved into a house with a pool. Although we have located what we believe to be the switch for the pool light (inground pool) it has no effect. How do you change the lightbulb? Draining it would be very expensive since it is a pretty large, pretty deep (8ft) water hole so we hope that there is some easier alternative.

Thanks!

Jules

Old 10-13-04, 06:34 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Before you drain, first check the GFCI breaker, the most common cause. The lights last a long time.

Old 10-13-04, 05:41 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Also check out the transformer there and see if its hot to the light. If the bulb, go down and take just the screws out on the rim .then the whole light should come out and the wire is long so you can lay the light on the ground there. If you have to put in a new bulb. The supply for it should come out from the pump timer box

ED

Old 11-01-04, 08:46 PM
riptig
Visiting Guest
I have the same problem, only I'm selling my house and the inspector noticed the burned out light. I checked the GFCI, as far as I can tell it's working properly (checked with a multimeter). I then checked for continuity across the hot and common leads leaving the breaker box heading to the light, but my meter showed an open circuit. Will I have to drain the pool to replace the light? The pool is approx. 7 years old.

Old 11-02-04, 08:18 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

riptig If you have power out to the control box. Is there a fuse there?? Is the transformer ok. The light should come from the control box out there by the pump.Then go for the light. As I have said .Here for code you just take the light out and the wire is long so you can take it out of the water. Put a new bulb in it and put it back down on the wall.

ED

Old 11-05-04, 01:02 AM
K-ford
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Changing the light

There's a single screw at the top of my light ring and a tab at the bottom. Together they hold the light fixture in place. I remove the screw and the entire fixture lifts up off the tab and out of the niche. The bulb is sealed in a canister behind the glass lens and a big rubber o-ring. There is about 6 feet of cord coiled around the fixture so I can lift it completely out of the water and replace the bulb on dry ground next to my diving board.

Make sure the switch is off and maybe even the breaker before you do this. I helped a friend change his burned out bulb and we found that the old one had overheated to the point that it actually melted the outer insulation off of the cord at two spots where it wrapped over the top of the fixture. We couldn't just replace the cord because it's a sealed connection to the light fixture. We ended up having to change the entire fixture and the cord back to a splice box behind his diving board. It only took an hour, but he spent almost $500 on a fancy new motorized multi-color light fixture.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: