How to select a pool heater

Old 10-22-04, 12:46 PM
B767Greg
Visiting Guest
How to select a pool heater

Anyone have any good advice on what to look for with regards to a pool heater? I have a in-ground pool and have determined I need a minimum 125,000 btu's.

The heater I am looking at is a Hayward, 200,000 btu, Model #H200ED2, electronic ignition and powered by natural gas. If anyone has any pros or cons for this brand I would like to hear them.

Thanks for any advice you all can give.

Greg

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-04, 12:52 PM
Wink

Check out www.warmair.net and compare fuel cost there. might be a heatpump heater will work good for you.Dont know where you are . I use solar down here.

ED

Old 10-22-04, 05:30 PM
B767Greg
Visiting Guest
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the reply. I have considered both the heat pump and gas and for my needs gas is my best option. I live in south Florida and have talked to several people who have both kinds and for what I want to do, gas will heat the pool faster and more efficiently for my needs. By the way neat website you referred me to!

Greg

Old 10-23-04, 02:29 PM
Wink

Your down here. Why not solar then. With the kids they did go in at first when it was cold out. That got old. My solar does ok and they dont go in or use the pool here from nov to about march. Also with the solar you can run it at night and cool the pool down when its to hot in the summer.

ED

Old 10-24-04, 06:44 AM
B767Greg
Visiting Guest
Hey Ed,

I thought about solar, but my family wanted the convenience to swim year round without restrictions. Spoiled family!! <g>

Greg

Old 10-26-04, 08:11 PM
Greg,

We're in the process of doing an owner/builder pool and are looking at the Sta-Rite Maxi Therm.

A friend of mine recently installed one as a replacement for the one (don't know the brand) that came with his pool. Although he didn't quote operating costs to me, he said his gas bill (here in So Cal) is pretty low and the heater has something like an 85% efficiency rating.

HTH

Matt

Old 12-27-04, 09:13 PM
Hi Greg, I vote for the Sta-Rite Maxi-Therm also effeciency rating is 84 not 85 I work on all the different brands, if I was buying for my house. it would be .....
Sta-Rite Maxi-Therm in a heart beat.

one area you need to consider before you buy any heater is how far is it from the gas meter to the heater and what size pipe is it.

lol steve