Just did D.E. manual clean

Old 10-30-04, 05:46 PM
BalkanDVB
Visiting Guest
Just did D.E. manual clean

I just hosed off my grids and clean my D.E. filter tank. I reassembled everything, noted startup PSI, and since the label on my filter said 4.8 pounds of D.e. required i did just that poured it into a bucket, and added water and made a thin, creamy mixture. I poured it into the skimmer slowly and then I noticed I made my pool from clear see through water to extremley white cloudy water. Is this normal when this procedure takes place or did I do something wrong? Im running the pump now in hopes of the d.e. getting distributed evenly on the grids and the water to clear up. Its been filtratng for 3-4 hours with no results. Will this take a day or two? I appreciate input thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-04, 04:18 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, made a mistake somewhere. Been there, done that. Last summer I cleaned mine and inadvertantly selected the valve position that sends stuff back to the pool. Same effect you had and a real PITA to get all the powder out. Also, when I recharge I dump the required amount of powder directly into the skimmer basket dry. You have directions to mix yours with water first???

Old 11-01-04, 03:36 PM
BalkanDVB
Visiting Guest
Well look, the selection on my multiport valve was clearly on filter. The water cleared up in a day but the reason it cleared up is not because it filtrated but because it went on the floor. Because when I let my robot crawl around, i just saw it picking up clouds of d.e. and got the water cloudy all over again. OOOh Dammit, my filter is not filtrating right!!! I also manually vacuumed some sand in the pool and the next day the sand returned and it was obvious it was all laid out in the direction of the return jets. Something is wrong.

I did a backwash today, waited till the water cleared, and put 70 percent of 4.8 pounds of d.e. right into the skimmer and I gotta see now if it will possibly filtrate, if not, i might be screwed. Please heeelp.

Old 11-30-04, 07:55 PM
D.E. in water

I would check to o-rings in your backwash valve, make sure the grids are seated correctly and inspect the grids for small tears. These are all areas where D.E. can bypass...

Old 11-30-04, 08:59 PM
BalkanDVB
Visiting Guest
Actually, that is where the problem was. I did a horrible job of putting the grids back and when I found out I laughed at myself saying "duh" no wonder.

But another problem now. I have solar heating, so whenever I turn it on, a whole bunch of d.e. came in and clouded the pool again. So I waited till it settled, vacuumed it, and it didnt come out of the return ports. I thought I was done, and it was just some left over d.e. in the solar pipes. But heres the whole problem:

After I vacummed the d.e. and with the solar heating valve on, when the pump turns off, all of a sudden d.e. just starts pouring out of the skimmer and vaccum port! Continuing a never ending cycle of vaccum d.e., pump off, d.e. back in. What could be wrong?

This btw doesnt happen when my solar heating is off.

Old 12-01-04, 06:04 PM
D.e.

Sounds like you have D.E. In the panels. How to get out, Depends on the manufacture of the panels. Fafco, Sealed Air, Solar Industries, Helio Col and so on.... Try switching the feed and return on the panels, this usually works...Run it until the D.E. is gone then put the feed and return back to normal... D.E. in the panels will lower the flow rate causing your panel to loose efficiently...

Old 12-01-04, 06:25 PM
D.e.

Sorry I Forgot to mention that there should be a 1 way check valve plumbed in after the filter. (with solar). This is there so that when the filter turns off & the solar drains back to the pool, it does not push water back through the filter into the skimmer...See if there is a check valve, if there is is might have some debris in it causing it not to close...

Old 12-27-04, 08:11 PM
1. if d.e. is returning to the pool via return lines or solar line the problem lies in either the grids, the manifold that the grids go into or the backwash valve.

2. if d.e. is returning to the pool via the skimmer / main " drain" there is a slight air leak somewhere and yes a check valve will prevent this, the best place to prevent most all problems to start with is by putting a check valve just before the pump,

there is normally a way to shut the solar off before addind d.e. rather it be by gate, ball, or slide, valve, normally d.e. would not go past / out of the filter unless there was a problem , but most people put them there just in case.

steve

Old 12-27-04, 08:28 PM
BalkanDVB
Visiting Guest
I am not sure if I have a check valve anywhere installed. It's odd that the previous owners didn't notice this or might have happen after I moved in. I dunno.

Old 12-29-04, 07:51 AM
there indeed may be a check valve, however they do fail in time, if its glued in place on pvc piping you will have to cut it out to see, unless of course there are unions to facilitate removing .

lol steve