Tips on Filling in Pool

Old 11-07-04, 03:38 PM
jazmateta
Visiting Guest
Question Tips on Filling in Pool

Hi All,
I have an opportunity to get a house here in the Central Florida area for a reasonable price - yeah, right - that has a pool that is well swampy. The screening is gone and the framework will be too, the 'canes threw a few branches and many leaves etc. into the pool. There are also frogs the size of dessert plates in there too. It is a gunnite pool, been there for at least 15 years and well frankly, I don't want a pool. It seems that the drain at the bottom is possibly blocked from conversations with the owner about using it to keep it from overflowing.

My question is: what is the best way of preparing a pool for the ultimate act of NOT holding water? I think it would make a great container garden. I was thinking of getting a load of stone to drop in the bottom, then some fill dirt, then after it settles a bit, then fill in the top layer with compost. I also plan to eventually even out the decking by putting decorative stone around the "garden". I may have to bust up about 6" of the concrete between the patio and the decking to add a drainage system to keep water from heading back toward the house.

Thanks for any advice that can be given.
Jazmateta

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-04, 06:05 PM
Group Moderator
Generally in Florida you probably don't want the pool to ever be empty. The high water table may float the pool out of the ground if it is empty.

My old college roomate just filled his pool with dirt (he lives in NJ). Down in Floriday you may have to knock a hole in the bottom of the pool so the water can escape (gravel or not). You get so much rain down there that the pool might eventually fill up with water and become a swamp.

Old 11-09-04, 08:30 AM
Wink

Take and look out side the slab there by the pool . Code down here calls for a pump out pipe under the pool. You have to put a pump on it and run this then you can pump out the pool. After that you can put a hole in the bottom of the pool and turn off the other pump. Check the bottom drain when you get the water out there is a plug in it that you can pull out Water will come back in up to the water table there. This is so the pool dont pop out of the ground. Just ask for fill there is all then put top soil on top. Rock ha ha dont have many down here cost like H .Oh and here its called shell rock.

ED have fun