Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

considdering semi inground and hottub....

considdering semi inground and hottub....

Old 11-18-04, 01:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Question considdering semi inground and hottub....

hi there...we are new to pools and spas,and things like this,
we are considdering putting a hottub close by a semi inground pool sometime in the begining of spring...will this work?
and...what should we watch for when purchasing a hottub?,and a semi ingound pool.
hope i made sence...all replies greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-04, 06:11 PM
Info?

I Would check your local building codes.... Make sure that Hot Tub wired 220 Volts A.C. Far enough away form the pool water....Get at least 3 estimates for both. As far as brand names, there are so many... Do a little more research to find the manufacture that fits your needs.

Old 12-04-04, 01:11 PM
You could get a copy of the local "trader" paper and call up the folks who are selling their tubs.

You want to find out:

Want they would do differently, next time.

What they like/dislike about the tub itself.

What they like/dislike about the dealer they used.

You need to dredge your memory about bad/good experiences with big ticket appliances and make a list of questions.

What I learned from doing customer service at a hot tub dealership:

The installer doesn't know anything about hot tubs, so don't expect them to stay around and hold your hand. They are not hourly, they are contractors.

Unless you specifically (in writing) expect any installation problems to be handled within 24 hours of installation, you can expect to be given no priority over any other customers; wait for the service, 7-10 days is typical.

If you expect priority service, GET IT IN WRITING. The place I worked kept no appointments open for VIPS, big customers, etc. Everyone was treated the same.

If you cannot get the level of service you want, then don't buy it new. Since the warranties are not transferrable (usually) buy one used and obligate the seller to move it for you, if possible.

I would play hardball on a used tub, say 25 - 30 cents on the dollar. Your moving costs will be about $500, the electrical installation is not included. The mover may not hook up the tub to the electrical; keep that in mind.

These things are also given away on a regular basis. Call those folks up and ask why.

Old 12-07-04, 03:19 AM
Group Moderator
Here is a link to an older post on this board.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=186393

Old 01-12-05, 03:52 PM
Hi, are we talking " hot Tub " which in the pool / spa industry means wood tub,
or are we talking spa, which may be a shell made of plastic [ rovel, acrylic ]
gunite / shotcrete [ concrete]

self contained, portable spa ? equipment , located away from the spa or as in self contained spas , under the [ skirt] ?

not attempting to be a smart a-- only want to clearify terminology use.

Jacuzzi is also a common name refering to spas which in most cases incorrect
as Jacuzzi is a brand name of spas , being the oldest mfg. some refer to all spas, weather inground, portable, etc. as Jacuzzi's

steve