Blowing water from in-ground lines?

Old 11-20-04, 07:22 AM
topher352
Visiting Guest
Blowing water from in-ground lines?

I had the brilliant idea of wanting to start opening and closing my in-ground pool by myself to save some cash. So this is the first time i'm attempting to close the pool myself.. and yes, i know it's november, and it should already be closed, but i procrastinated.

My problem is in blowing out the water from the lines. I'm stuck. When I tried to watch the pool company do it last year, it seemed easy enough.. looked like they hooked up the shop vac turned it on.. and suddenly water was shooting out of my skimmer.

I bought a shop vac, just for this purpose. I finally managed to piece together a few adapters to allow me to hook the vac up to the line. Inside the pump basket are 2 holes, one I guess is the suction tube, goes to the skimmer, the other heads up towards the pump. I hooked my vac up to the suction line, and turned it on... nothing. No shooting water. No bubbles.. Nothing. I don't know what i'm missing. Please help asap.. i should have posted months ago.. but i really need to get this thing closed now.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-04, 07:36 AM
This link provides information on how to winterize your inground pool, complete with instructions on blowing out the lines, and all the other things that should be done. Hope this helps you out.
Good luck and post back.

http://www.poolandspa.com/page107.htm

Old 11-20-04, 08:17 AM
Wink

Lots of IFS here. When you put the shop vac on the inlet side of the pump in the pump basket did you seal off the hose in that pipe? tight. is the shop vac as big are as may Hp as the one they use? Do you have a bottom drain and was the pump open to it? Dont forget the bottom plug on the pump there and the one on the filter. Did you blow out the return lines also?

ED

Old 11-20-04, 12:28 PM
topher352
Visiting Guest
Wow.. thanks for the quick responses guys. I think I got it working.. at least enough to satisfy me.

majakdragon, I had come upon that link during my searching.. and it's got good info... but it wasn't detailed enough for what i was looking for.

Ed Imeduc, I bought the bigest powered shop vac that I could find 6.5 hp. I don't know what the pool company I used before used.. I actually gave them a call this afternoon, and the girl who i spoke to said she thought their techs used a compressor instead of a shop vac.. but I know for a fact that they used a vac last year.

So.. here's what I did.. that seemed to help me.. perhaps it will help someone else who stumbles across this. First of all, to eliminate as many possible air leaks and pressure losses as possible, I disconnected my chlorinator and attached the shop vac directly to the pvc pipes on the other end. (note it's the last place to connect anything, as they go directly into the ground from there.) This way I wasn't blowing air through the pump, the filter, the valve, and the chlorinator before going into the ground. It was a pain, but I layered on the duct tape to help seal the connection. air was leaking from around my vac's hose and end piece, so i put tape around that as well... still nothing. Finally, whether I should have had to do this or not, I don't know. I put my hands over these 2 vents on the vac that blow excess air out of them. I see the hose flex a little more, so I assume it was forcing a bit more air into the hose. Note. This is probably not good (on your vac) for extended periods of time. But after doing that for less than a minute, air was shooting out of the first jet.

THen I capped the jets one by one as massive amounts of bubbles were coming out. The only one i had problems with was the very last jet on the far side of the pool (furthest away from the pump). I never got any bubbles to come out of that one, even after all of the others were sealed. So I'm just crossing my fingers that I will have gotten enough of the water out of the lines so that it should be ok as it is.

For the suction line, after letting it run for a couple minutes, I used the same trick, of using my hands to cover those 2 vents, and voila, water came shooting out of the skimmer. It didn't appear anywhear near as pressurized as it did when I watched the pool company close it last year though, but it worked. I left it run until it seemed as though there was no more water sputtering out.

So I guess my combination of LOT'S of duct tape, and the little extra pressure boost was enough to get the job done. I'm excited, now all I have to do is fill the water tubes to sit around the edge of the cover, and I think I'm all set.

Even though this was a pain in the butt.. It was better than paying someone else to do it.

shop vac 100$, duct tape 4$, shop vac accessories to get the best connection 10$. Closing chemicals 40$ So for about 155$ I closed my pool. This is what it would have cost me to pay someone to do it, however, the vac and accessories can be used next year (and for other things). So next year it will cost me closer to 45$ (assuming I buy more duct tape, which I usually have on hand anyway). So This year I break even, every year after that I'll save 100$ for closing and another 150$ for opening. That's an extra 250$ in my pocket. I'm happy.

Thanks again for your quick responses guys. I honestly didn't expect to get any prompt replies.

Old 11-20-04, 12:45 PM
Wink

Dont have to get the water out down here in the pool lines. But that is why I like the Jandy valves on all the pool lines. 8 screws off and I can blow any line I want. here its stopped up lines with pine needles. Glad you got it

Ed