need new pool pump motor?

Old 01-02-05, 09:54 AM
kippayne
Visiting Guest
need new pool pump motor?

My pool pump motor recently began making a funny noise, followed by a burning plastic smell. I have adjusted the motor to only run at one hour intervals because it gets extremely, extremely hot to the touch. Is there any way to repair this or do I need a new motor? Also, the label has come off my motor. How do I tell what type I need? I know it's not a square flange, so would that be a C-face? Also, my notes show 56J frame, is this correct with a C-face motor? Is 1.5 horsepower the correct horsepower for a 15,000 gallon pool with polaris pool sweep? I assume threaded shaft is the most common? The pump is a Hayward, I believe it is the Super Pump II. Any help anyone can give is greatly appreciated!!

Old 01-02-05, 12:38 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
the hayward pumps use a c - face threaded shaft motor, you can determind h.p after you take it apart via the impeller / seal plate , 1.5 hp will more than do the job , if you have an attached spa that the jets are powered by this pump by all means dont reduce the h.p. if it was me and the pump was 6 - 7 yrs old I would not fix the pump I would replace it and replace it with a purex / pentair whisperflow,

if the pipe is 2 " I D you cannot install a pump larger than 1 .5 hp [ you can but there are other issues that are unknown by your present post, ]

example. what size is your filter, is the spa raised, if so by how much, is the spa piping 2 " or 2 1/2 " , how far from pump to spa.

lol steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: