Replacing the Spa Pack

Old 01-05-05, 07:56 AM
JBB
Question Replacing the Spa Pack

I have a coast spa with a bad controller board so I'm going to replace the spa pack. What should I consider when I select a new Spa Pack? Are there any manufactures I should stay away from ? There are alot of brands that all claim to be the best. I don't want to buy more trouble. Cost is second to reliability.
Currently It is a 230V unit made by Gecko. I am going to stay with that voltage.

Thanks for looking

JBB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-05, 09:24 AM
Hi JBB, hopefully I can be of some help, first off how old iss your spa? seeing how a new circuit board is around $250.00 [ you should be able to install yourself, with elec. off at breaker and being careful] a complete new pak 220v 5 / 6 kw htr. eletronic control is going to set you back around
$1500.00 , or more Of course with a new unit everything is new complete with warranty. just something to consider.

I would suggest Balboa controls if you do buy they have been in business a long time and are one of the front runners in the spa control business, a lot of spa manufacturers put Balboa controls in thier spas.

lol steve

Old 01-05-05, 12:38 PM
JBB
The spa was new in 2000 . I bought it 1 week ago used & broke. Previous owner said her boyfriend (EX) got mad and threw a glass of water into the controller. The circuit board got wet and shorted out. If I only replace the board what are the chances of it having effected other parts (Topside Control or? ), I don't want to spend $$ only to have it blow again.

Thanks Steve,

Jay

Old 01-05-05, 08:12 PM
Hi again Jay, I know where your comming from , but considering the spa is only 4 yrs. old it is worth fixing the electronic controls are very reliable, the fact that the boy friend damaged the controls is sad, however it would still be running had that not happened, so seams like you probably got a good deal,

what i would do if i were in your shoes would be to call a spa service technician in your area, tell him the brand of your control, model & serial # [ it may be on front, or inside door ? ] have him come out and diagnose the problem, and give you an estimate parts and labor to fix it, that way he makes the diagnosis he should stand behind his diagnosis and give you a warranty for the part & labor. beware: some of the repair people out there are " parts raplacers " meaning they are not qualified to diagnose a problem , so they replace a certain part that they think is bad, and when that does not solve the problem they replace a second part and so it goes until they get your spa fixed, however they dont remove the other 2, 3, 0r 4, parts they previously installed , your billed for all the parts even tho you only needed one ,

this is unethical and a crime in most places.

lol steve

Old 01-05-05, 08:27 PM
JBB
Thanks steve,

I guess I will just replace the whole controller with a new balboa unit. Its pretty much just Plug & play that way and I won't have to worry about it for years I hope

If I do go with a tech what questions should I ask to weed out the scammers?

Thanks again

Jay

Old 01-05-05, 10:00 PM
Hi Jay, hopefully the spa was purchased locally, ? if so they should have qualified personel , if not call the manufacturer and inquire as to a recommendation for a qualified service tech. in your area, even if you live in a rural area paying travel time on top of a service call may well be cheaper than replacing the complete controller, and jay ive seen electronic controls that only needed a simple fuse, however a new circuit board is not that big of a deal , other than the out lay of good size change.

you can allways ask the service tech. to please save all the parts, better yet watch him, you should get clear fairly easy if indeed they know what they are talking about.

talking to friends in some instances might help, however not necessarily so when it comes to electronic circuit boards, on different types of spa controls,

lol steve