Pool tile replacement

Old 01-11-05, 01:07 PM
Glassman
Visiting Guest
Question Pool tile replacement

I have an inground pool with broken tiles on the upper edging. They are the blue in 6x21/2 inch. I have removed three broken ones, and I have been told to use a clear silicone caulk to replace the tiles. Is this right?

I have the right grout in white- but I want the right procedure to glue the new tiles in place.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-05, 07:16 PM
A good silicone will due just fine to hold the tiles in, this can last for years but I would not call it a permanent fix… Make sure there is no air gap behind the tile & all the old mortar is gone so water can not get in. If it is prepped right the tiles will be fine. You may notice that more tiles might pop off. If so you may want to think about re-doing the tile all around the pool?

Old 01-12-05, 05:36 AM
Glassman
Visiting Guest
Thank you so much for replying, I will do your suggestion. The total tile replacement is needed- but it's to much for me to do, and the finances are not there either. Maybe a future income tax refund check. As you probably noticed, I just joined the forum- have a great day!

Originally Posted by millenniumpools
A good silicone will due just fine to hold the tiles in, this can last for years but I would not call it a permanent fix… Make sure there is no air gap behind the tile & all the old mortar is gone so water can not get in. If it is prepped right the tiles will be fine. You may notice that more tiles might pop off. If so you may want to think about re-doing the tile all around the pool?

Old 01-12-05, 04:06 PM
Hi Glassman, Millenniumpools gave you good advise, id like to add the following, when the tiles are removed, look to see if there is a horrizontal crack behind the tiles that are loos / came off, iff so this indicates a deeper problem, I realize [ by your post ] that you are not planing to re-tile the complete pool, youll have to address the cracking problem at that time,

when doing the patch , be sure the pool surface is, solid, dry, and clean, acetone is good for cleaning, after applying the tiles using silicone adhesive, you must allow 24 hours for the curing [ allow longer if damp ] before adding water.

steve