Hot tub on concrete pavers

Old 01-15-05, 05:28 PM
Beerchutney1
Visiting Guest
Hot tub on concrete pavers

Hi, I just purchased a used 4-6 person hot tub. I am looking to place it as a stand alone on 20inch by 20inch concrete pavers or bricks. The ground I am putting it on is solid, I will lay down a small layer of sand then place the concrete pads in and level it out. Should I have any concern on doing this, some tub companies have told me I need to pour a concrete slab, however I have heard of others doing my method I am suggesting. Any comments would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-05, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I always pour 6” concrete pad with any Spa that I install…The water weight alone in a 300 Gallon Spa is 2500 Lbs. Not to mention the Spa and the people in it!

Old 01-21-05, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can definitely place the hot tub on pavers. A slab is not required for the following reason.

By placing a sand or gravel base and pavers you are essentially spreading the total weight uniformly over the entire area of the spa. Assume that your spa is about 7'x7' is approximately 50 sqft. If the spa with water weighs 3000 lbs and 6 people weigh 1200 lbs ( big people - probably wouldn't all fit ) then you have a total weight of 4200 lbs. Lets say that the total weight is even 5000 lbs. Then you will have about 100 lbs/sqft sitting on the ground. Typical allowable soil bearing pressure for a foundation of a building is 1000 lbs/sqft without a soils analysis. That's 10 times as much weight as your spa with 6 big truck-drivers in it.

Another way of looking at this is that you could support such a spa on a raised deck with only 5-6 12" square pier footings under the area of the spa. A 6" thick slab represents 10 times as much support as you really need but would add about 75 lbs/sqft of pressure on the ground.