combine pool and spa heater?

Old 01-18-05, 10:25 AM
Milist
Visiting Guest
combine pool and spa heater?

My inground spa is about 500 gallons; my adjoining inground pool is 42,000 gal
Both heaters are about16 years old and are in an enclosed shed with separate
venting throught the roof. Spa heater(Teledyne Lars 175m milivolt);pool heater (Teledyne lars 350m-400m milivolt).
Spa heater has too many problems to fix. Pool heater works fair(sometimes) but is used infrequently. Does it still make sense to keep these systems separate and should I buy a new spa heater, or should I combine to one heater? Thx.

Old 01-18-05, 04:32 PM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your pool and spa are combined, meaning that they share the same body of water and use the same pump and filter than you only need 1 heater. If they are separate and each have there own filter and pump, you could put in a bypass to use the pool heater to heat the spa. Post back with a bit more info and we can go from there....

Old 01-18-05, 05:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

You have two heaters now. So its all piped for two Id replace the one I have to right now. Hold off on the other till you have to put a new one in for the pool. You could later on put solar for the pool one to cut the chill if you want. Dont cost any fuel .

ED

Old 01-22-05, 11:38 AM
Walker
Visiting Guest
I have an extremely large in ground pool (about 8 feet deep and over 30 feet long. I also have a four person spa. I have one heater to take care of both of them and haven't had a problem.

Understand that the piping is already set up through the filter system for me to switch them back and forth and that was how it was installed. You will have to install these valves yourself and work around your filtration system. My spa also overflows into my pool which may or may not make a difference. I also live in Houston, TX, which while we had snow at Christmas this year, it was the only time in over 120 years that this has happened. Thus I don't get really cold weather and have never had ice in the pool or spa.

I also have an old (18 years or older) Teledyne unit and when it goes out, I am going with a system that also uses the underground pipes to help cool and heat it.

Your problem, you will have to go out and switch the system between your pool and spa manually.

Old 02-03-05, 06:29 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Milist, you said adjoining, in your terminology does this mean connected to the pool and sharing the same water or not ?

at any rate you can share the same heater, pump, and filter you will need three way valves and I suggest an automated control, either compool or jandy, with an in house control, you can turn on the spa and heater prior to using it and also monitor the temperature of the spa from inside your house so you don't have to run out and do the toe test, and heres a real nice upgrade for those units, its a telephone interface that will remotely turn the spa and heater on via phone, so say you are an hour away and are really wanting to jump into that spa the minute you get home, presto, it will be ready and waiting for you. ahh automation solving so many of lifes small problems.

steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: