New pool Heater not working

Old 01-25-05, 10:28 PM
swifty1
Visiting Guest
New pool Heater not working

Had a brand new hayward 350000 btu nat gas heater installed to replace a 25 year old heater that finally quit on me. The tech who did the installation said he could not get it working since i now needed a larger gas meter to provide the extra gas pressure. Had the gas company out today they installed a 400 btu gas meter then tried to get the pool heater working no go. Gas company said to call back the tech somethings not right with the heater. Any sugestions as to what may be the problem ? The tech who did the install spent a few hours attemping to fire it up before saying its the gas pressure.

Old 01-26-05, 07:20 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi swifty1 , couple of questions, is the new heayer a lo / nox ? the installer should have left you with the warranty papers, and the owners operational manual , look in the manual and see what size of gas line is required for your size heater for the distance from the gas meter [ at the house] to the pool heater. you will need a manometer to check if there is enough gas inlet pressure, there may be enough pressure but not enough volume [ see size of piping] or the old gas line may have rusted a some point and has water in the line not allowing gas to get through, [ you could un -screw the gas connection and see if any gas escapes, [ if you do this turn off all electrical devices around the heater ] the heater operates on 24 vac there is a transformer that accepts either 120 vac or 220 vac line voltage . at any rate if this is a company that sent the tech. out to install the heater you might contact his supervisor and explain the situation and have him send a more qualified tech. out. if you don't get the desired results, contact hayward and they will recommend a tech. to you or will issue a warranty call, however if it turns out not to be a warranty issue, [ something the installer did / did not do ] they will charge you.

hope this helps, steve

Old 01-27-05, 07:19 PM
P
Swifty1, I always check the existing gas line before I install a new heater. A gas line that has been in the ground for 25 years can rust out even if the person who installed it took all the necessary precautions (Using x-coat priming & tapping the entire exposed pipe)

Most heaters need between 6 & 10 inches of WCP (water-column pressure) to operate, it takes 28 WCP to equal 1 psi so a leak in the gas line can cause a heater not to fire

As stevie3x stated all heater manufactures now are very strict with gas line sizing, especially if it is a lox/nox heater.

Upping the gas meter is the right thing to do any time you have a large gas heater installed

Call the company back have them send out tech with a manometer (test WCP) so they can test the gas line inlet pressure and make sure the gas line is the right size. Hayward has a great technical support department they will gladly go over the installation with the tech that installed your heater, some of there first questions they will ask is does the heater have the proper meter size, proper gas line size and proper WCP. They can talk the tech in from there.

Old 01-27-05, 11:06 PM
swifty1
Visiting Guest
new pool Heater not working

Thanks for the replys, yes it is a low nox heater. Ill have the tech check the gas line with that meter your recomending

Old 06-21-05, 11:41 PM
clay91846
Visiting Guest
I had the same problem with my heater after installation. Told I would be charged a service call fee if not warranty related...needed bigger gas meter. Spent $500 for new meter...still did not work. Guess what...the on off switch inside the unit was OFF!

Old 06-22-05, 12:33 PM
S
in our area they will replace the meter for free , that is there responsibility.

steve

Old 06-24-05, 10:37 PM
zuke
Visiting Guest
Wow 25 years for a heater thats cool, what was the name on that one?

Old 08-03-05, 10:59 PM
kevinpf
Visiting Guest
25 years isn't bad, I have 28 years on a Teledyne Laars Mark IV and am just now having thermostat problems.

Old 08-04-05, 07:56 PM
A
I have 34 years on my Teledyne Laars Mark IV 166k btu. I also had thermostat problems last year but I just bypassed it and put in an on/off switch.
I have just bought a brand new 175k unit with digital controls that hopefully will last another 30+ years.

Michael

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: