Recovering Deck

Old 02-04-05, 08:59 AM
Walker
Visiting Guest
Recovering Deck

We have the aggregate concrete and small stone deck around our pool. Right now some of it is cracking and in one place it is caving in due to a washout. I spoke with a family friend who put in a pool this Winter, they went with the grey decking surface that supposedly doesn't get as hot as the concrete and stone ones due. Has anyone used this type of deck, since it is still cool in Texas, I am a little leary of having something done that may or may not perform as I would like. Apparently it is also cheaper than the concrete aggregate composite deck.

Old 02-04-05, 09:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

They call it chattahoocee deck down here. For what you have .You do have to seal it each yearare it will break up .And yes its hot .Had it on one pool never again. k/You can take it up and redo the thop of the deck. I have had the small stones as you call them also what they call cool deek .Its hard to keep clean . The most they use down here now is called spray creat. It is sprayed on the deck then knocked down with a trowel. After its dry then stain on it is all. Its cool easy to clean no slip. Have had it on the last 2 pools here now.

ED

Old 02-08-05, 08:42 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there, is it a deck that will last a long time, or one that will need little maintenance, or be cool on your feet ? as there are all kinds of materials available, I by no means claim to know all of them, however all most all will surely need some repairs, coating, etc. at some point in time, the small pebble type applied with and held togeather with epoxy resin seems to indeed need recoated with a clear coat every few yrs. seems to wear well, non slip and various colors are available, of course there are redwood decks, look beatiful and are nice to walk on, however they do need a lot of upkeep, and redwood is not cheap . we used a lot of kool deck in Arizona, put it on my pool this is applied to the green concrete, [ apx 1 to 2 days ] after deck has been poured for adhesion, it has a lot of silica in the mix various colors can be added application by gun or " flopped " on using big bristle type brushes, you have to mask the house , post, " EVERYTHING " you don't want the splatter on after firming up time varies, 10 min to 30 min you can knock it down as previously stated by Ed, you wind up with a very pleasant looking surface, easy on bare feet and ' Kool " to the touch even in Arizonas 115 sun.

the thing is in your case , the deck would have to be sound [ it will hide horizontal cracks ] whoever applies it must us some type of bonding ageant because your applying a new cement product over an old existing [ cured ] cement product. check around, do your home work and you should be able to do it get 3 -4 people to help and practice on 10 or 12 8 x 4 x 16 blocks lay em on there sides togeather an go for it after reading up or better yet hire someone to be a working foreman who has done this before.

lol steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: