Soft water in Hot tub.

Old 02-14-05, 10:54 AM
BSTheyAre
Visiting Guest
Soft water in Hot tub.

Does anyone have information on using soft water in a hot tub? I have seen on some web sites they say don't because it is corrosive but give no data to prove that it is. If it was that corrosive, wouldn't the plumbing in my house have self destructed by now?

Old 02-14-05, 05:00 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi BSTheyAre, I believe the people are refering to soft water being corrosive is in relation to a concrete pool / spa , the total soft water over time will leach out calcium from the cement mixture that makes up the plaster, I would also suspect that it will have the same effect on tile groute, if the groute is anything other than silicone.

hope this helps, steve

Old 02-15-05, 06:29 AM
BSTheyAre
Visiting Guest
Yes, that helps, Thank you. I have an acrylic/fiberglass hot tub, so nothing but PVC, silicone and maybe some stainless in the heater. No concrete or groute. In my case it shouldn't make any difference.

Old 02-15-05, 06:54 PM
B
Why would it leach anything? Soft water is water that has had minerals removed. People that live along major rivers (eg Mississippi, Ohio) use very soft water all the time.

Old 02-16-05, 08:15 PM
S
Hi BobF , Not a chemist. however have from all the chem. classes ive had and from all the trade info. ive read [ pool / spa ] soft water will " pull " if you will , calcium and or ? other minerals from the cement mixture in the plaster / and or groute . its not an overnight thing .

steve

Old 02-17-05, 04:04 PM
B
Thats called effloresence. People with block foundations may notice this - a powdery substance on the block. Its caused by water passing thru the mortar and picking up the minerals as it goes along. But that occurs regardless of the hardness of the water.

Old 02-21-05, 11:26 AM
S
Hi Again, we are talking about 2 different things here, plaster in regards to a pool is what makes it water tight ! water does not " pass through " however the water being soft or too soft as in total alakalinity will leach out minerals from the cement , leaving the aggregate exposed , to some degree making for very rough plaster and over a prolonged time could develope leaks and tile could fall off.

hope this clearifys ? steve

Old 02-21-05, 03:14 PM
B
Never heard of water softness related to ph, only to amount of dissolved minerals.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: