Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Inground Pool coping needs to be replaced

Old 02-23-05, 10:32 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I just bought a home over the winter with an inground gunite pool (quite old but still working) that has cement coping all around the perimeter of the pool. In some places the coping is cracked and/or disintegrating. However, the tiles inside the pool are in good condition and none of them are loose or broken.
Is replacing the coping a job that an inexperienced do it yourselfer can do or do I new a professional?
Any idea where I can buy the materials? and what the costs might be?

Old 02-23-05, 12:41 PM
Wink

Dont know for sure just what you have there. Like a brick or what high or low. Id take it all off built a form and put new cement there is all. i dont like the brick or stone coping on a pool. As for cost cant say different all over.

ED

Old 02-26-05, 09:45 AM
S
Hi crk99 , replacing the coping is a labor intensive job , and depending upon what you now have as coping and what you plan on replacing it with , will have a bearing as to the deck thickness,

example: if you are removing the 1 piece coping that has a rounded / raised edge facing the pool and is apx 10 " by 24 " long its apx 2 " thick where it meets the deck, if you replace it with a thinner material you will have to build up the bond beam or add more motar when setting, if using a thicker material there will be a lip at the deck which would be undersireable,

normally when replacing the coping, the pool would be drained, and depending upon the coping you may have to saw cut between the top of the tile and the bottom of the coping [ to prevent the tile from chipping / breaking/ ] pool should not to be drained during rainy season , and or special precautions needed in high water areas.

hopefully you have prior experience in tile / brick laying before attempting this job !

hope this helps steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: