Tell me how you like your hot tubs

Old 02-23-05, 03:24 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Tell me how you like your hot tubs

Ok guys, I'm building my own hot tub this summer, and I haven't had a chance to get out to any stores and see the average pump size on these things...

Can you all tell me:

1) How big the hot tub is, as far as people rating and gallons?

2) What size pump? Also, specify if it's two-speed or not.

3) What wattage heater?

4) How do you like the heat-up time? How easy is it to keep hot?

Basically I wanna gauge how the big hot tub companies are supplying their hot tubs. Most of the time with commercial products, the power of the components tend to be overkill. I want to pick the right size pump and heater in order to maximize the efficiency (including cost) and the comfort.

Thanks a lot guys.

Old 02-25-05, 04:39 PM
S
Hi drone007

youve opened up a wide area of issues here,

1. I take it your refering to a spa , ? plastic in nature , weather it be rovel or acryloc, still considered ' PLASTIC " HOT TUB would actually refer to a wooden tub,

2. most spas i come across are apx. 300 - 350 gal. 7' 6" to 8 ' round ,
octagon, and square. some with recliner lounges, others with individule
seats, or bench type seats at different heights. and so on.

3. as far as pump size goes, it all depends on how many jets and what size
of jets, some spas have 5 - 6 jets others have as many as 30 jets, some spas are plumbed to flow all the water through a select number of jets at the same time shutting the remainder of jets off, the reason is to have all jets run at a certain intensity or regulate between the different set of jets to either close a certain number completely off of at least shut them down thereby increasing the remainder of jets.

4. as pertaining to pumps you can use 1 2 speed pump , or 1 2 speed pump and 1 1 speed jet pump , generally the low speed is for circulating , filtering and maintain the heat on a daily baisis, the high speed is for when you use the spa jets, and the second pump is when you have a lot of jets or want even more jet action.

5. as per your inquiry, re what size htr, heat-up time, almost all portable spas use in - line 6 kw ele. heaters 6000 watts [ consider a hair dryer is 1500 watts ] it would take a long time to heat the spa up every time you wanted to use it, so this is the reason for the insulating of the spa shell and a good insulating cover, to maintain a desired temp 24 / 7

now if you want to install a spa shell in the ground and use seperate pool / spa duty equipment and a gas heater. post back as this is an entirely different ballgame.

steve

Old 02-26-05, 03:51 PM
D
well, yes, I am planning on building a wooden hot tub. Unless I can find a used plastic or fiberglass interior, I see the wooden design as being the best.

I've read some things about Jets, being run on outside air? I always assumed you could just pump water through the jets. Also, when talking about the jets that shoot air, it seems like this would make the hot tub a cooler temperature, because the air wouldn't be as hot as the water.

any ideas?

Old 02-26-05, 05:02 PM
S
Hi again, thanks for clearifying, now that i know it is indeed a hot tub made of wood, teak / redwood / etc. the idea is that the slats fit togeather having a close fit , however not waterproof, when filled with water the wood swells thereby forming a water tight fit. there are many different types of jets on the market, from hydromassage to plain spinners, or directional types, you can install as many as you like at random having some at lower back level and some higher up and even others in the foot well, you can have a 2 speed pump as stated eariler or 2 different pumps, a good rule of thumb for 6 - 7 jets use a 1.5 hp whisperflow pump for execellent jet action, suction would be 2 " and 2 " to spa jet plumbing loop, depending upon how far you pup the equipment from the hot tub, all jets are plumbed for air to be drawn in during high speed or when the second pump kicks in , this is the venturi causing air to be drawn in amplifying the jet action, and yes an air blower can be added to this air loop to increase the jet action even more,

question: does this have a cooling effect ? yes with a blower to some degree, however with a 6 kw ele. heater or gas heater you won't have to be concerned, I suggest you use a gas heater if possible, it cost more up front but runs for a lot less money v/s ele.

a good insulating cover is a definite, plus, remember to tell the people you buy the jets from , that its a wooden hot tub, as you will need all fittings, suction / jets/ etc. long reach due to the thickness of the wood .
if you want a plumbing guide , send me your e-mail #

steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: