Laars Teledyne Heater Needs Replacement?

Old 02-25-05, 03:03 PM
mhaitin
Visiting Guest
Question Laars Teledyne Heater Needs Replacement?

Heater (Laars EPG 400) will not stay on. Technician indicates that "exchange is leaking" and "fire brick is soaked and stressed." Tells me that I am better off replacing the whole unit (400,000 BTU) at a cost of about $1,950 plus labor.

Is this guy's opinion correct? Thank you for you help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-05, 09:03 PM
Hi mhaitin , from what you said I agree with his diagnostics,

fitst off your heater is apx. 15 yrs old, the heat exchanger is apx. $1300.00 installed, the fire blocks would add another 650.00

and on top of all that you probably more than likely have cast iron headers ? which by this time would need replacing,

however i suggest a low / nox heater as they are more efficient, this translates into money savings in gas, my pick is sta-rite maxi-therm 400,000
however, before buying a new low / nox heater check your gas line size, from your gas meter to the pool heater 1 1/4 " up to 100 ft. over 100 ft 11/2 " is required.

on the down side / I don't see how he can sell you a low nox heater [ any brand ] at the stated price.

steve

Old 03-01-05, 09:34 PM
As stevie3x stated check your gas line size and you gas meter size, manufactures are very strict on the warranties if these are not sized correctly.