Raypak heater problem

Old 03-07-05, 05:47 AM
perfzone
Visiting Guest
Raypak heater problem

I live in cold midwest. I have a hottub with a jacuzzi pump and filter along with raypak gemini 153-a heater. It is older stuff and it is located in a shed for winter use. I had a leak in the pump between wet/dry end. It was drained mostly all the way but got very cold one night.. I took pump in and had rebuild kit put on . I hooked it back up, lit the pilot and the pump hummed for a minute but no jet pressure.

I heard a loud pop and shut it off. The inlet pipe which is chrome and pressure fit into the heater blew out and some water shot against the wall. I assume it was built up pressure from furnace heat but it happened fast. There is a petcock drain on back for winterizing and it is ******* thread so does turning it close to the heater shut off or open valve?

Now when i fill everything and turn it on there is not pressure or bubbles and I filled the filter housing and wet end with water. (I DIDNT TURN ON PILOT AS I DIDNT WANT HEAT PRESSURE TO BLOW IT AGAIN) when I turn the pump off the 2 inlets in the tub that suck water to pump gurggle and blow out a big bubble. I can also hear some sir in thet line. When I open the valve at the pump inlet water rushes out so what the hell?????

I am stumped as to why no flow and does the system circulate when heater is off or not? Is there some valve or block in the heater I maybe blew out when it popped?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-05, 08:59 AM
Hi there, sounds like the pump was definitely pumping water, there must be an obstruction on the return side maby a valve is closed , as the stainless steel pipe at the heater blew off, { being the weakest link in the chain ]

or in this case the weakest link in the returning water loop , spa to, pump / filter / heater / back to the spa .

hope this helps some steve

Old 03-08-05, 02:01 PM
perfzone
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help. I dont think a valve could be it because the inlet valve is open and flowing. From there it goes to the filter can then exits to the heater inlet, which is the one that blew. Unless there is a blockage in the heater or the line going to the jets I dont know. There may be a check valve in the line that is stuck but I dont think they do that very often since it is just a ball. Is there a way to back flush the jets and see? but that would perhaps close the check valve.

I was wondering if i hook a shop vac to anything either intake or blow and see if that travels. The problem I have is the pump is in a shed and there is a box and decking around the tub so I cant just look at it or access things and pull them off. If I seal a strong shop vac hose set on exhaust and hook it to the inlet line on heater will that blow through a jet or is it too weak? I dont want to wreck the heater with air pressure but I am trying to come up with something

thanks

Old 03-08-05, 06:48 PM
there must be some kind of blockage on the return side, and since the heater piping blew off it has to either be in the heater itself the piping to the spa or at the spa itself, think of all the different parts that make up your spa laying in a straight line, first there is the spa itself water goes to the pump the pump pumps the water to the filter and after it passes through the filter it goes to the heater by way of one stainless steel heat sink [pipe] and out the other stainless steel heat sink [ pipe] and returns to the spa, in your original post you stated the pipe blew off at the heater and was spewing water ? if im correct this is the inlet to the heater remove the other pipe at the heater, after you re-connect the one that blew off quickly turn the pump on if no water comes out the heater where the return pipe was connected you know the problem is in the heater itself, if water does come out the heater [ were talking a lot of water not a dribble] then the problem has to be either in the return piping or at the spa itself, it would be very unusual to place a check valve under ground , but i have seen this, also if there is a check valve the "flapper" mab have broken off and lodged somewhere or even " frozen" shut ?

post back with an update, steve

Old 03-12-05, 04:48 AM
perfzone
Visiting Guest
Blockage on the return side indeed, it was frozen. I poured a small amount of anti-freeze in the jets. I also took a few boards of the deck and put 2 large halogen lights underneath it aiming at the pipes. During the night it was down to 15 degrees but the day went up to 28. Finally broke free and now works fine....thanks for the help