Tilting I/G Fiberglass pool

Old 03-22-05, 08:09 PM
cindyk
Visiting Guest
Question Tilting I/G Fiberglass pool

We just bought a house last fall near Orlando. We moved from PA, so are not real poolsmart yet.
The pool deck is concrete slabs (@ 3' x 8'). On one side of the pool there is one slab that is cockeyed...one end heaving up and one side sinking (@ 2-3'). The pool ( 12 x 25 ) is also leaning somewhat in that area as you can tell by the difference in the water level from one side to the other.

I have done a little research, and read about "slab jacking"....is this something that would work in my situation? I hope I don't have to drain the pool. We just put in a pool heater and chlorine generator and finally got it where we want it!

Also, once we get the slabs leveled....what is this spray crete? Is it a DIY project?

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.

Old 03-23-05, 04:58 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 965 Votes on 886 Posts
I don't know how to fix your problem but in Florida many pools will float out of the ground if they are drained. In some areas the water table is very close to the surface and the pool acts just like a boat. I've seen them use pumps and several shallow wells around a pool to pump down the water table before draining it.

Old 03-23-05, 06:22 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Cindyk, have seen a lot of fiberglass pools, [ arizona] and there are many things you need to be aware of , pilot dane, brought out one " popping pools" most repairs to a fiberglass type pool should not be undertaken by a DIY, er when draining the sides need to be supported [ to keep them from swaying / bending inward ] as the weight of the water holds them in place, we used to construct a lattice work using 2 x 6 across the pool , and also not draining all the water out . the fact that the pool is listing to one side does not supprise me, ive seen this time and time again, call in someone from your area experienced in installing / repairing fiberglass pools, and get quotes to correct the problem,

you might check with your home owners insurance to see if they will cover any of the nec. repairs, also since you just moved in there may be some recourse from the sellers / realators ?

lol steve

Old 03-24-05, 04:01 AM
cindyk
Visiting Guest
Thank you both for responding. Other than being a little strange-looking to the eye (the tilted water level), is the pool OK? It has been in there for years, and I think its probably settled all its going to. Maybe if I can just get the unlevel slabs fixed, it'll look better. That's why I thought this "slab-jacking" might work. Of course it would have to be done by a professional. I know I don't want to drain it out though.

Since it was like that when we bought it, I don't think there is any recourse through previous homeowner/insurance.

Old 03-24-05, 07:24 AM
S
youll probably have to " live with " the listing to correct this issue you would have a major undertaking including expense, hopefully it has settled all it will,
this by no means effects the swimability of the pool.

think about buying a chlorine generating system for your pool if you don't allready have one , youll love it.

steve

Old 03-24-05, 08:19 AM
Wink

Code down here for sure calls for a in ground well point in a bed of rock under all pools. New code now calls for a drywell off to the side of the pool. So pool water cant go between the deck and pool top. Drain pipe has to be in skimmer near top to take water to the drywell.

ED

Old 03-24-05, 08:51 PM
cindyk
Visiting Guest
Stevie, thanks for the ray of hope! Yes we bought a chlorine generator the same time we bought our heat pump. And it is so great. The pool has never looked to crystal clear and I don't have to keep dumping chemicals in. Before I would take a sample every week or two to be checked and each time they would say it needs this or that and I was always buying stuff to dump into it. I've had it checked a few times since we got the generator and it has never needed a thing. Not so say it never will, but what a difference! PLUS it feels soooooo good!! If anyone ever thinks about whether they should get one - go for it! You won't be sorry!

Ed, I'm not sure I understand all that you said. I know it would probably be an undertaking to fix the crookedness. What it actually looks like is a bit of sagging/bowing on the one side toward the shallow end of the pool. There are panels of concrete all around, but right in that area, one end of the slab is up in the air and the other end is a bit below the next slab. I would like to just try to level the slab if nothing else. I wouldn't mind having a professional look at it, but I'm a bit cynical, and don't trust that people wouldn't try to sell me a very expensive fix.
Sorry for the long-windedness....

Old 03-25-05, 02:12 PM
S
cindyk, re the decking if the area that has the problem is say 8 ft long the deck can be saw cut on either side of the area in question, say 2 ft. on either side , remove that amount of deck , and a new section can be poured, most concrete professionals can match what you have fairly well, there is no need to replace all the decking around the peremiter of the pool.

lol steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: