prime

Old 03-23-05, 11:36 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prime

new pump and filter.......water will build up then it looses it's prime......turn it off and water comes to top of pot....turn it back on and in just a few seconds prime is gone again......seems to have air leak at the top of sand filter ????? HELP PLEASE......we are at our wits end!!!!!!

Old 03-23-05, 07:35 PM
S
Hi sols, first check the level in the pool, at the skimmer make sure the flap is mooving [ weir blade] is the pump raised above the level of the water ? is there a check valve on the inlet side, [ before the pump] ? if not maby a valve you can close ? ? fill the pump pot full of water , with a check valve the water will stay in the pot , if you have a valve close it and fill the pot, put the lid back on and turn the pump on [ open the valve / if you have one just before turning it on, after 2 or 3 trys if prime is not established. wrap a towl around the end of the garden hose, turn on the pump and place the hose down the skimmer inlet holding the towl tight, this may take 2 to 3 minutes but should work.

post back, let us know

steve

Old 03-24-05, 08:20 AM
S
still won't prime

do not have any valves except side valve on pump pot...it is tight.....did what you said with hose and towel.... pump pot still would not prime......there is suction and it tries to fill....pressure goes up to over 100 and then drops down to around 20 or lower......you can actually see the pump pot trying to pull away from the motor when the pump pot water goes down.....

Old 03-24-05, 08:29 AM
S
if im understanding you correctly , the psi going to 100 ? ? this indicates a valve closed or some restriction on the return side of the plumbing [ from the filter on, filters are only rated to run up to 50 psi, so check it out and be super careful, you don't want to be anywhere close if that filter does blow apart ! !

steve

Old 03-24-05, 08:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

......seems to have air leak at the top of sand filter ?????
This filter is after the pump then water should come out of the leak there.

Like said put that hose and towel in the inlet pipe to the pump? Will water come out the skimmer or the bottom drain in the pool????

ED

Old 03-25-05, 02:34 PM
S
nope....no prime....

from the skimmer pot i ran hose with towel wrapped tightly ......no water came up through the skimmer inlet pot...then i tried running the hose from skimmer inlet back to pump pot.....nothing.....put my hand down in skimmer pot at the pool....no suction.....

when the filter is on some water does come through but not enough to keep the prime... ?????

Old 03-25-05, 05:47 PM
Wink

Out of the box here, I just had to cut out part of the slab by the skimmer here and dig down to the pipes 3' found a broke 2" 90o L in the skimmer line to the pump. put new one in.Now my pump dont get air and the pool water dont go down when I fill it up over the skimmer edge.

ED

Old 03-25-05, 07:42 PM
S
prime...digging ugh

digging.....ugh...been there....done that....but i was much younger..... is there anyway to be sure the line is clear between the pool skimmer where the intake is and the pump pot????.......not losing water in the pool.....just can't get the @#&*# pump to prime......we are beating our heads against that same wall...

Last edited by sols; 03-25-05 at 07:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-26-05, 09:51 AM
Wink

Do you have a skimmer line to the pump and a bottom drain to the pump. Can you shut one off at a time??

ED

Old 03-26-05, 01:05 PM
S
prime

we have one line from the skimmer to the pump....the bottom drain is connected to the bottom of the skimmer.......to drain from the bottom the cap in the skimmer pot is moved over the hole in the skimmer pot.....but... either way....same line to the pump....

Old 03-26-05, 09:22 PM
S
Hi again sols, im still concerned about the psi going so high, this indicates pump was working however with a restriction in the filter or beyond . with a restriction you would not be able to catch prime due to the fact if you can't get water through the filter and return to the pool , you can't get water to go into the pump, remove the pipe from the filter to the heater and again attempt to catch prime if indeed you are able to, re connect that pipe and cut / remove the pipe comming out of the heater going back to the pool, and try again, also make sure the pipe fitting / nipple going into the front of the pump is tight if loose it will suck air and you will never be able to catch prime.

post back, steve

Old 03-27-05, 05:41 AM
S
prime

have not been running filter except to try to prime.....i don't want it blowing up in my face.......we changed the sand but that made no difference.... no heater.......connections we can see we have made sure are tight......guess we are going to have to start digging............i have my own private swamp at this point......

Old 03-27-05, 04:13 PM
S
sols, don't dig ! thats not likely to be your problem, read my message re cutting the piping, but first cut the pipe going from the pump to the filter, and see if you can catch prime [ you may have to put a 90 on the pipe to keep the water from flooding the equipment , remember your not going to run it long just want to elminate different parts of your system, you may have to have help, especially if your at the skimmer and the pump catches prime and is 30 - 40 feet away.

steve

Old 03-30-05, 09:16 AM
S
prime

cut the pipe closest to the pump pot....redid the nipple...used hose and towel.....even made a plug to go around the hose.....it is trying to prime but won't.....suction is good because it is all i can do to hold the plug ......

Old 03-30-05, 10:16 AM
Wink

If you put that water hose and rag in the line comeing into the pump will water then come out of the skimer at the pool?????

ED

Old 03-30-05, 01:41 PM
S
prime

water from the hose goes in the pot and then out of the jets on the pool just as if it were filtering......no water ever comes up in the skimmer pot on the pool..........after we cut the pipe we did run water back to the skimmer pot and water came up....i think tomorrow i will get some flat backwash hose and connect it to the cut end of pipe that goes to the pool and the cut end of pipe at the pool pot.....i'll see what happens......sigh

Old 03-30-05, 01:57 PM
Wink

....i think tomorrow i will get some flat backwash hose and connect it to the cut end of pipe that goes to the pool
You cant suck with this pipe or like put it on the intake of the pump. Did you put the water hose in the intake side of the pump going to the pool??

ED

Old 03-30-05, 10:16 PM
P
Sols, I Just read your post. As stevie3x stated donít dig yet, I would cut the pipe coming out of the pump before it connects to the filter then you can hook it to your backwash hose so you donít get wet turn your pump on and see if your pump catches prime. This will tell you if you have a blockage or broken line on the suction side of the pump. If your pressure went up as high as you said it did I would think that the pump is doing its job but there is a blockage after the pump. Go down to the store and buy a Drain-Jet it cost about 15.00 it is usually made out of rubber and when you hook it to a garden hose it expands inside of the pipe forcing the water through, a rag or towel allows to much bypass. You can the drain-jet use to force water from the suction side of the pump to the pool or from the discharge side of the pump through the filter and back to the pool. Check any valves and make sure that they are open also if your filter has a back-wash valve make sure it is in the right position.

Old 04-11-05, 06:26 AM
S
prime

AT LAST!!!!!! a younger friend came over friday......using a snake and the drain jet........which i had already done......he was able it get the clog (leaves) up to a place where it was easy to cut the pipe and clean it out... my grandson had tried to vaccum without a basket in the skimmer.....grrrrr

anyway.......everything is now working......thanks to all of you for your help....it was so much appreciated.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: