What is ideal pool temp?

Old 03-24-05, 09:09 PM
cindyk
Visiting Guest
What is ideal pool temp?

We've recently put in a heat pump on our inground pool here in Florida. What is the ideal setting for the thermostat to be kept at? We kept playing with it for a while, along with the filter run times and my elec. bill almost tripled. Right now I have it set at 82 with filter run time of 6 hours per day. Upon checking my meter daily, this has drastically cut down on energy consumption ( we did have it at 87 and filter run time of 10, plus there were days we messed up and the filter was running constantly)

Any rules of thumb?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-05, 07:39 AM
Wink

Down her in Fl I use solar on my pools I have had works very well. Id add them to what you have now, in front of the heater also .It will pay you. Now temp its like what you like . Me it has to be 84o or better but 82o is just fine. The time 6hr for now going into summer is just fine here. Im in west palm.

ED

Old 03-25-05, 02:05 PM
hi again cindyk, temp is whatever you like however the lower you can keep the temp and still swim would be the more economical choice, some people use a solar blanket [ bubble cover ] in conjunction with a heater , it will actually make heat during long periods of sun light and will retain heat at night when the pump is off. reasonable, apx. $100.00, the down side is they can be buggers to take off and put on. also they will not support the weight of a small child, so in the case one fell into the pool with a solar cover on they would slip beneath the cover out of site to you.

steve

Old 03-26-05, 07:41 AM
cindyk
Visiting Guest
thank you both for responding.

I already have a solar cover, and you are right, they are a pain, even with a reel. Usually when I take a notion to swim, I'm here by myself, and have to walk back and forth to put it on/take it off.

I'm glad you guys are here...I have so many questions. Right now our pool isn't screened in, and we have a problem with leaves. I have no idea what it costs to screen it in, but have a feeling its very expensive. My husband, an avid DIY'er wants to build a screened in area with treated lumber. I told him there must be a reason we can't do it because every house I've seen around here (Orlando) all have the aluminum setups.

Old 03-26-05, 08:15 AM
Wink

Two years ago daughters pool just the aluminum and screen was $2800.00 for it with 2 walkout doors in it. 15X 30 pool with walk all around it. Now sit down. My pool had to have just new screen from the storms we have had here. 25'X38' just 3 sides other on the home. Hip roof on it.Before all the storms had a price of $1600.00 for new screen. It cost me the other day $2200.00 to have it done and that was the low price out of 3 bids.
A diy can buy the aluminum to do it. P/T wood would cost you more. then you would still need to buy the pvc strips to put the sceen into. Check home depot they have the aluminum here also lowes.

ED

Old 04-08-05, 08:18 AM
kirsy
Visiting Guest
we are just about finishing our pool enclosure (aluminium frame wit a hip roof), we did all the work ourself with the help of a friend and my father-in-law. Ask your building department what you need to get started, we needed engineered plans and of course, the permit. There is a lot of cutting and screwing involved (and measuring LOL!!!), and the most difficult task of this project was getting the beams of the roof up. Screening was not that difficult, just a lot of work. We have a 24 feet by 30 something feet enclosure and payed around $2000 for the materials and plans.
And our structure hold up very well last year during the hurricanes (for all the Floridians, we live in Polk County and had three of them... )

kirsy

Old 04-09-05, 06:39 AM
Group Moderator
I was wondering what that type of work was costing these days, Ed; I know there's still hundreds of missing pool cages and blown out screening in the Punta Gorda and Charlotte Harbor area. Gotta be keeping those screen guys hopping (along with the roofing contractors) and we're less than 60 days from the start of the next hurricane season (whoopee!).

Old 05-01-05, 06:29 PM
cindyk
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much to all that replied. I've had a busy month and just got back here. ANYWAY..Kirsy, you mentioned DIY screening and that sounds good. I did go to Home Depot and saw the aluminum and screening. I asked a department guy about it and he said they sell alot to DIY'ers but didn't know how to build one. Where do you get the plans? I'm near Orlando and see these enclosures all over, but don't know where to begin to put one up ourselves!

Also, I saw on another site that some people cut their pool covers into sections...is this a good idea? Seems like it would be easier to put on and take off.