Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Creating your own inground hot tub solar cover?

Creating your own inground hot tub solar cover?

Old 04-05-05, 02:22 PM
Question Creating your own inground hot tub solar cover?

hi everyone,

I am newbie at this, so please be gentle I searched in the forums and did not see this questions being discussed (though solar blanket for pool has been)

Does anyone have any thaughts on creating your own hot tub cover? I have a inground hot tub next to my pool and have electric heater for it. The heater takes forever to heat it, during summers about 5-6 hours (it is Raypack 11kw model) and during the winter it just refuses to heat up. I live in Austin TX, so winters are not that bad (about 32F/0C).

My Pool friend recommended that I build a hot tub solar cover. After reading some informatoin on the same, it appears that these can be unsafe for pets (I have 2) and kids. Questions for the fellow memebers:

1) Is it a good idea to have a solar cover for hot tub? If so, how to build a custom solar cover ? Can I buy stuff in Home Depot/Lowes?
2) Any other recommendations on building a cover? I have a Moon shaped hot tub, and am on a limited budget. The custom hot tub covers appear to run around $200+.

I have searched around without much avail. Looked at possiblity of instaling a solar heater, though they seem to be very expensive as well.

thank you for your help and time in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-05, 03:43 PM
Juiced
Visiting Guest
Very easy to do.

PVC or any other BLACK .18 thick material and maybe insulated, sealed (with a pressure release valve) copper piping as structure/support and you're set to go.

Many other designs exist if you want some help.

Last edited by majakdragon; 04-21-05 at 02:29 PM.