New pool owner

Old 04-05-05, 03:55 PM
dhop
Visiting Guest
New pool owner

I've just moved in to a house with an in-ground vinyl pool (approx 35,000 gal). Naturally, the pool was green, but I've started the pump, shocked it
(a lot, I think) and adjusted other chemicals, as suggested by the pool place. No more green, but the water is still cloudy 3 weeks later!

I'm beginning to suspect that the pump is not moving enough water. Any good ways to check, and what would be considered adequate pump flow and pressure? There are no pressure gauges on the filter. Maybe I'm hearing hoofbeats and looking for zebras, but I tend to analyze the heck out of things. Any thoughts or suggestions? Or should I just be patient?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-05, 07:54 PM
hold on there kimosave, if you plan on maintaining your own pool, chems and vacuum, you should start at the bigining,
buy yourself a good 4 in one test kit [ preferably one that uses dpd ] buy a good book on pool water chemistry and that explains all the inherant problems associated with a pool / spa , one of the best ive seen, " Everything you always wanted to know about POOL CARE " [ But didn't know where to ask }

find out the gallonage of your pool { all additions of chems. depend on total gal. ] if its square or rectangle multiply length X width X ave. depth X 7.5 [ 35,000 sounds awful high, rember no guessing ]

take the filter apart and clean the grids ? [ if d.e. ] or cartridges [ if its a cartridge filter ] the filter may have a name plate with all the information youll need, Note: you might consider paying a service charge to get the filter cleaned and the pool up and running , schedule the service call when you will be home and tell the service man you want to watch, to possibly learn something, [ most service people will have little problem with this ]

take a water sample to your local pool store and have it analyzed, the normal chlorine, ph, total alkalinity, calcium hardness, total dissolved solids, and cyanuric acid. afterward the store personell can advise you wat to add. and how to add it.

consider a chlorine generating system , after you get the pool looking super,
above all vacuum only with a brush type vacuum and check all brushes, what ever you intend to put in your pool, vynal liner pools are more delicate than, gunite, or fiberglass.

post back if you run into more problems.

steve

Old 04-05-05, 08:25 PM
Just an often forgotten to mention note. When taking a pool water sample ,it should be taken from 16-18 inches below the surface, not from the top. I had over shocked my pool, ended up with a dangerous caustic acid condition. This was not caught because I was taking the sample from the top of the water.

Will bow back out now

Old 04-06-05, 08:32 AM
I have been an inground pool owner since 1989 and have a vinyl liner also. I have run into this problem before and at least for me the problem was that the ph was way too high, so high in fact that it was showing false readings on home test kits. You should take your sample water to a pool supply place that can check it with a computer and not with chemicals. I had to add muratic acid to mine, but be careful with it, a little at a time, check every four hours. Do you know what type of filter you have, sand or DE, for that size pool I would hope you have DE, what does your filter look like? You must be persistent with this type problem and stay at it, once you find out the problem if it is chemicals you need to check and adjust every four hours. Good luck, no offense but ya got a lot to learn, trust me, but it's worth it.

Old 04-06-05, 09:14 AM
Wink

No more green, but the water is still cloudy 3 weeks later!
Like said get a 4 in 1 test kit and do it yourself I check the pool about one time a week and one time a year take a sample to the pool store.
You said cloudy is your filter clean and working right? Might have to clean it everyday for a while here till it clears up. Next check the alkalinty in the pool for sure. Wal-Marts have the Aqua Chem free book in the stores sometimes, look there. Are go to www.aquachem.com they have good info.

High PH in pool, rain water or lots of KIDS.

ED

Old 04-12-05, 02:37 PM
dhop
Visiting Guest
Pump Problem

OK, I think I've got a handle on it now. After further inspection of the pump, I found a crack in the strainer lid that is obviously leaking and losing the prime in the pump. This, combined with some debris in the pump, appaerently resulted in severely reduced flow, and therefore, contributes to the cloudy water. The water has also begun to turn green again. I've got to get it moving, and quick.

Which leads me to the next problem. The pump is manufactured by WMC Corp., Model #AT2200. I found that WMC is no longer in business, and the part (WMC part number is 5150-03) may not be available. Anyone have any ideas or resource where I can find a replacement strainer lid?

Old 04-13-05, 07:23 AM
never heard of it ! however it can be repaired with epoxy, the only stress placed on it is during the time the pump is running , unless of course your equipment is below grade, the ultimate would be to replace your pump with a purex / pentair whisperflow pump if your present pump is say a 2.0 hp pump you can go down in horsepower to 1.5 whisperflow, it will pump more water using less electricity.

steve

Old 04-13-05, 10:51 AM
Might look into a Jacuzzi pump They work good .Easy to work on if need be.

ED