Lost power at hot tub

Old 04-08-05, 05:34 PM
Hunter0070
Visiting Guest
Lost power at hot tub

We acquired at used hot tub with the house we recently purchased. After a lot of cleaning and leak repairs everything worked good. Now we lost all power at the hot tub. There is power to the circuit board but that is as far as my knowledge will let me go. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should check next?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-05, 07:25 PM
Group Moderator
Tell everyone what brand and model hot tub you have. None of us know you, so the more details the better.

Many spas have thermal overloads, breakers and safety switches that can turn a spa off. If you open the service door of your spa and look at the control pack you may see some buttons. Pressing these buttons may reset the problem. Most spas have a high temperature sensor that turns off the power to everything in the spa if the water gets too hot. It usually cannot be reset until the water cools below the limit.

I have seen some spas trip a high temperature sensor after refilling the spa. The water circulation pump can trap air, keeping it from pumping water through the heater (keeping it cool). The heater overheats and turns the spa off. Completely filling the spa before connecting the power helps and sometimes turning on/off the main jet pumps for a few seconds a time can purge air from the system.

Old 04-09-05, 10:43 AM
Hunter0070
Visiting Guest
It's a Balboa spa. The cover on the control pack has the wiring diagram on it with the date 09/95 so I assume that's the production date. I don't see any breakers on the circuit board. There are 3 fuses and they check good. We did have the hot tub turned off for about 4 days. We turned it back on and it ran for maybe a couple hours when we noticed it wasn't running. I checked to see if would run this morning after cooling down and there still is no power. The hot tub has been completely full for a few weeks and has been working good. I will look for the high temperature sensor to see if it could be faulty.