shock vs cholorine

Old 04-10-05, 09:47 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shock vs cholorine

We have a 35 thousand gallon inground vinyl lined pool. Last year my wife bought two 40 LB buckets of granular pool chlorine by mistake.(i use the 3 inch tabs in floaters).The pool place will not take it back or exchange it for the tabs.
I figure I can use it for shock am I correct? What is the difference between shock and the granular chlorine?
Thanks for all the past help.

Old 04-10-05, 10:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Id say it just dont have the stabilizer in it And some do. Read on the bucket there what you do have.
With Aqua Chem it comes with chlorinating granules Plus.
then Chlorinating Granules in CA only, disolve faster and more completely. might go to
http://www.aquachem.com

ED

Old 04-10-05, 11:14 AM
M
it says

What I have is chlor brite from leslies all it says is stablized for extended chlorine life.
and then it says to use it with there shock on the smaller print on the back of the bucket.
One way or another I am going to use it if you know what I mean That stuff is not cheap.

Old 04-10-05, 01:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Have you looked into going to a salt pool??? My daughters pool they did. Last year they used about 80lb of salt is all for all the chlorine they needed. Thats on a 15X30 pool. I still use liquid chlorine in mine and add stabilizer about one time a year is all. Some times with the tabs you can get a build up in the pool of what they call CA.
I also see the Aqua Chem has a shock treament for just vinyl pools. Somr times Wal Mart has the small free book on pools from Aqua Chem are ask them

ED

Old 04-10-05, 02:07 PM
M
no not yet

I have heard of salt for the pool but have not really looked into it yet probbably because of the initial cost of the system.
I think it might be worth looking into and maybe in a year or two if I like what I see getting one.
Liquid cholorine is not aviable here in TX for some reason so tabs it is.

Old 04-10-05, 02:08 PM
S
sounds like what you bought is dichloro which is a compound, containing apx. 65 % available chlorine and containing conditioner , ph valve apx. 6.8
can be used to shock the pool however avery expensive shock method. if you do use this granular dissolve it first as it will sink to the bottom and bleach the vynal liner, most stores sell shock that is calcium hypochlorite, apx. 56 % available chlorine, contains no conditioner has a rather high ph.

an execellent non chlorine agent to shock your pool with would be potassium mono per sulphate dissolves on contact with the water, adds no undersireable by-products.

as per what ed said, i agree consider a chlorine generating system, and pretty much say good buy to chemical costs.

steve

Old 04-12-05, 05:05 PM
Blair Stack
Visiting Guest
Mr. Van

Use the bucket, I'm sure you will figure out the dosage as you go. Salt water systems are the way to go. In the US you are looking at about $1200.00 to convert. The benefits are many from not drying out your liner and your skin and maintenance is minimal compared to chemical treatments.

Cheers, Blair

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: