Hot tub is leaking, but from where?

Old 04-11-05, 02:36 PM
tgeorge2032
Visiting Guest
Hot tub is leaking, but from where?

I have an older hot tub, Coleman I think, that has a slow but consistent leak. I have looked several times for and signs of the leak, moisture or water flow, but haven't found any.

Because of the way the tub was installed, I only have access through the "front door." The other three sides are blocked by a board-on-board fence.

Any suggestions as to how to find the leak?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-05, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
Assuming it's not a plumbing leak, first step would be to let it leak until the water level drops down to a point and then does'nt drop any further. This would show you aty least at what height on the tub the leak was likely to be, i.e. near the level of the water.

First place to check - the jets. We owned a spa a few years back at a previous residence and had a leak that kicked my butt for a couple of weeks. Even went as far as draining the tub, standing it on its side, and digging into the foam insulation looking for the source. Finally discovered a cracked jet, but I had to remove the chrome trim ring inside the tub to expose the plastic portion of the jet housing itself before I stumbled across the crack. THEN I had to order special wrench to remove the jet (Jacuzzi brand). Not a hard job once I figured out what the problem was and what type/manufacturer the jet was. About 6 months later another developed a leak and I knew right where to look. Eventually ended up replacing about half of the jets for cracks/leaking.

Old 04-12-05, 06:15 PM
tgeorge2032
Visiting Guest
Should I turn the tub off first? I thought the previous owners told me not to run the tub if the water level drops below the jets?

Thanks

Old 04-13-05, 05:24 AM
Group Moderator
Shouldn't matter; if the water falls below the jets you'll get streams of water squirting out. As long as the water is flowing you should have no problems. In a swimming pool, for instance, if you let the pool level fall below the line of the skimmer intake the pump can cavitate (suck air) and overheat the pump. But in a hot tub, the intake is only in the bottom of the tub, so you shouldn't have to worry about sucking air.

Is the level going to fall fairly quickly or is your leak going to take a month to drop the water level down?

Old 04-13-05, 07:16 AM
hard to fix if you can't find, ideal way put spa up on blocks and fill with water, however considering the small amount of water leak as per your statement, there is an addative that may solve your problem called " fix - a - leak made by marlig out of canada, ive used it and depending on the size of the leak and location have had good results, you should be able to locate at almost any pool / spa store if they don't carry it they can order it.

follow directions to the letter.

steve

Old 04-13-05, 08:18 PM
tgeorge2032
Visiting Guest
Stevie -

I just ordered Fix-A-Leak. I'll do my best to follow the directions, but not having the owners manual to the tub, or even knowing the model number to track down a replacement, I'll have to play it by ear.

Thanks for the tip and I'll report back in a week or so.

Old 04-25-05, 02:27 PM
tgeorge2032
Visiting Guest
I have recieved, and used, the Fix-a-leak and so far, so good. It looks like the leak has stopped!!!

The directions on the bottle are more aimed at the guy fixing a 20,000 gallon pool than the 400 gallon hot tub. Consequently, it doesn't say anything about draining, or not, the tub.

Do I have to drain the tub before putting the filter back in? Or before going in myself?

Thanks againg for all the good advice