Jet Problem

Old 04-17-05, 10:13 AM
sntanner
Visiting Guest
Jet Problem

Recently, I drained my above ground spa. After I filled it back up, the single jet pump switch (push button) does not turn the jets on. At this point, I do not know if it is the switch or the motor. What I need advice on is...just prior to draining the spa, my daughter was playing with the jet pump switch...turning the jets on and off and on and off...etc. I asked her to stop, but is it possible to burn out the motor by doing this? Or should I just start my repair by looking at the switch? The spa I have a a Sequoia Spa...not that this makes much difference. Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-05, 06:27 PM
its obvious from your post that you have an air switch, those little buggers are famous for sticking and or not pushing enough air to activate the switching mechanism, first off turn off all electrical , at the breaker or un-plug the spa if possible , open the access to where the equipment is , locate the 1/4 " clear air tubing comming down from the air button [ located on top ] if you can remove the tubing at the air button , do so when removed the button may return to the original position, if not you will have to replace that part , once you pull the tubing off the air switch you should be able to blow on it with your mouth and cycle the pump [ the ele will have to be turned back on, and no you will get shocked by blowing on the end of the air tubing, if this doesn't pin down the problem post back.

steve

Old 05-29-05, 12:09 PM
sntanner
Visiting Guest
Jet Problem

Thank you for your help, Steve. Sorry it has taken so long for me to get to looking at this. I pulled the tubing off of the switch (in the main electrical box) and pressed the button. Air moved freely through the tubing, so that is not the problem. When I replaced the tubing on the switch, I could hear the "click", that should actuate the jets. I plugged the spa back into electrical power, and pressed the button. The 3rd time I pressed the button, the jets came on. I pressed it again, to shut them off, then on again, then off.....after that, they did not come back on. Seems to me that the switch that the tubing connects to is the culprit. Am I correct? If so, I'm assuming those are standard items, and can be purchased at any spa dealer....I'm hoping. If if it something other than this component, is it likely that I will be able to get it fixed, without replacing out major equipment? Thanks so much for your time, again. Sean

Old 05-29-05, 08:21 PM
before you go to replacing any parts, remove the tubing that connects to the switch and gently blow into the end with your mouth if it turns on and off every time, that means the air button is not pushing enough consistant air, replace the air button .

steve

Old 05-31-05, 11:21 AM
sntanner
Visiting Guest
Thanks again, Steve. I figured, while I was already into the project, I'd see how easy it was to get to the switch. With regard to the button, there is no way to get to it (that I could find), because it is installed inside a cavity...inside the exterior, and outside the fiberglass shell. I took the air switch to a spa parts store, because they said they had a replacement switch. However, he was nice enough to test my switch, and found that it was still functioning properly!! He asked me to put my finger on the tubing, press the button down, and see if the button comes up quickly, or slowly (we want slow). It came up slowly...so the button is fine. Now, the frustrating yet satisfying moment. I replaced the same switch, hooked up back up.....and the darned thing works again!!! So, I did nothing except remove the switch and replace it again..and it worked. There is no corrosion on the contacts, so I still have no idea what was going wrong. The tubing seemed to be seated well enough before I took it all apart... Anyway. Thanks again for your prompt replies and help. I thought you would want to know what the end result was (well...we hope it is the end result!). Take care....Sean