Replumb

Old 04-21-05, 05:17 PM
Replumb

Hello,

I recently bought a house with a 18' x 36' rectangle inground pool. There are several leaks (air, water) in the plumbing around the equipment pad, I have air bubbles in the inlet, and the filter needs to be replaced. I had the local pool service company come out and they said it would be about 1000 - 1200 for labor, filter, fittings, etc.

Is a filter replacement, and complete above-ground replumb a DIY project, or should I let the pros do it? I've done PVC plumbing before, but I'm not sure what else this type of project would entail.

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-05, 03:41 AM
Hi there, price you quoted does not seem out of line, depending upon type , size of filter, they may plan on replumbing suction side and discharge side of the pump , probably install a check valve in the process, replumb from pump to filter and from filter to heater [ if you have one ] perhaps a 3 - way valve if you have an attached spa,

yes you can perform this repair yourself, keep in mind to use cpvc nipples in / out of the pump , a spring loaded check valve , preferably on the suction side of the pump , [ jandy makes an execellent one ] use unions on both suction / return sides [ yes the pump will have to be worked on at somp time in the future ] keep your plumbing lines clean , level and use no more fittings than are necessary [ 1 2 " 90 = 8 ft. pipe in resistance ] use 2 " instead of 1 1/2 " . paint your pvc piping to prevent the ultra violet of the sun from destroying it. [ makes it brittle / over time , code here .

good luck and happy plumbing.

steve

Old 04-23-05, 09:10 AM
Wink

It is for sure a very good DIY job. Make sure you mark all the lines before you cut them out. Might check on a Jacuzzi pump and filter set up on line. I sure like the one I have on this pool.

ED