Pool Heating - Do it yourself

Old 04-27-05, 03:03 AM
JustWaiting
Visiting Guest
Pool Heating - Do it yourself

I'm looking at heating my pool in Tampa Florida. I'm interested in either a solar solution or a heat pump solution. I'm leaning more toward the heat pump solution but my question is "Do I have to hire someone to install it?". I do most things (electrical, repair, etc...) myself so my question is how hard is it to install one of these heat pumps?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-05, 03:37 AM
as far as you installing the heat pump yourself, you can do it, don't cut any corners and read the directions,

personally i would opt for the solar panels once installed youve got " free " heat.

lol steve

Old 04-27-05, 03:53 AM
Wink

Down here for sure go with the solar on the roof. Works the best may cost a little bit more. But then its free all the time. Also down here when the water gets to warm you can run the solar at night and cool down the water. Have had solar on my pools here for 20 years now. No repair you cant say that for a heatpump or the fuel cost.
Yes you can put it in for sure .But to work on it on the freon side you have to be EPA

ED

Old 04-27-05, 04:08 AM
JustWaiting
Visiting Guest
What solar solution did you go with? Can I do it myself? I've installed full sprinkler systems myself. I just don't know the best quality or brand...How much would it run to install also?

Old 04-27-05, 04:41 AM
Wink

http://www.solardev.com/FSEC-pool-heating.php
This is one to look at I dont like the kind that go across the roof only the ones that go up and down like. On daughters did last year 15X30 pool, salt water pool have 10 4X12. Not hard to put on. I dont use any of the electric controls on it . just time the pump run.Cost Id say get 3 bids for down here for sure.

ED

Last edited by Ed Imeduc; 04-27-05 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-27-05, 03:29 PM
if you want optimum performance, set the desired temperature and forget it difinitely get a solar controller, compool is an execellent choice.

lol steve

Old 04-28-05, 05:02 AM
Solar is a good option and is relatively easy to install. Go with Fafco, Sealed Air or Solar Industries, all 3 have been in business a long time and make quality panels. Most dealers will sell you the product and give you an installation manual. If you’re putting it on your roof makes sure you use a good sealant. Sika-flex 1A is a good roof sealant.

Old 04-29-05, 03:55 PM
marknflorida
Visiting Guest
My two cents .....

Ok I just had a heat pump pool heater installed for my pool. Here are your considerations. First you need a dedicated circuit 220 volt for the heat pump. If you have that much you on your way. Secondly, the very basic is WATER in and WATER out, BUT! On the water out end you should install a hartford loop before the clorinator. This prevents water from settling back down into the heat pump when in the off position. Third and probrably one of the most important is what heater to buy. My preference was for the scroll compressor since it is much more durable than the piston type compressor. Finally, make sure the one you buy is rated for your gallon capacity for your pool. Minimum is 100,000 BTU's. Why didnt I go solar? Well for one thing with all the storms and high winds we have here in Florida(Im in Bradenton) updrafts under those panels just scare me, and with roofs being so expensive to replace I just as soon not burden the roof anymore with holes or mounts or whatever it takes to put those up there.

Mark

Old 04-30-05, 04:26 AM
Thumbs down

marknflorida

With what you would save with solar over that heatpump You can get a new roof every 3 years . My panels are ok after two hurricane here. There are a lot of blue roof around me. Also when the pool is to warm in the summer you cant cool it down by running the pump at night.

ED

Old 04-30-05, 05:56 AM
Most solar collectors if strapped down correctly can handle 120 mph winds. They sell more panels in Florida than any other state. As Ed Imeduc stated you can also run Solar at night to cool your pool.

Old 05-12-05, 12:48 PM
JustWaiting
Visiting Guest
What if you don't have flat panels on your roof to put the solar panels on? I got up on my roof and my roof has a whole bunch of diamonds and raised areas where it would be difficult to place them. My neighbors both have solar and their pools are perfect temperatures..but I'm afraid I don't have enough room on my roof.

Old 05-17-05, 07:24 AM
You can build a ground rack, or a raised trellis to mount solar panes on to as well.... as long as the sun hits the panels!