Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Help! Need to fill up the above the ground pool!

Old 05-02-05, 05:02 AM
Nadya
Visiting Guest

We just emptied our 18,000 gallon above the ground pool and I was told that it will be extremely expensive to fill it up with water. I was also told that is better to find Water-in-bulk company, but they quoting astronomical charges!
Any suggestions?

Old 05-02-05, 06:23 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Where are you located???? How much is expensive? Most tanker trailers only haul 7000-8000 gallons per load. Here in south Louisiana our fire department will let us fill ours (30,000 gals) from the fire hydrants for around $35.00. Can fill the entire pool in about 40 minutes. But then again, we never run tight on water here.

Old 05-02-05, 07:43 AM
Nadya
Visiting Guest
I am in VA. You are right, most of the tankers in this area are actually only 4,000 gal. They quote $160 - $180 per tanker. The total would be around $800...

Old 05-02-05, 01:38 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
First, do you have much of a choice?

You can use your garden hose. It will probably take 2 1/2 days (figuring about 5 gal/min.) and you will be paying the water company for every gallon.

Clean water is rather precious and I guarantee that the price will continue to increase.

The water hauling guy has expenses I'm sure. He had to buy a truck, pay his salary, buy fuel... and I would be surprised if he could make a run to/from your house & pump the water in an hour. I know he's charging a lot, but 4'000 gallons of water weighs about 33'000 pounds. That's a lot of stuff to move.

Our local fire departments here in NC used to fill swimming pools for a nominal fee. They stopped a couple years ago. Apparently liability concerns that the tanks in their trucks are not maintained (cleaned) to transport potable water...

Old 05-02-05, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
You were told it would be expensive to fill your pool but who told you that.

If you phone the number on your water bill they can tell you exactly how much it will cost.
If your billing is in cubic feet they will also be able to do the calculation for you.

Water is often billed on a sliding scale. The more you use, the cheaper it gets.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: