Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

HT only used on weekends - OK to turn off power during week?

Old 05-04-05, 06:53 AM

Does anyone see an issue with turning off the power to a hot tub when it is not used during the week?

I was thinking of adding a timer to keep it off during the week, and having start up again on Friday. Once it is up to temp. (100deg) With the cover on it ( and added insulation around the shell) The temp should not drop that much in 5 days, so it should not take that long to re-heat.

I was told that by turning the temp down during the week, actually makes the chemicals last longer. - I'm thinking of shuting it off completely)

I don't know if I need the pump to cycle the water periodically. An alternitive would be to add a switch to turn the heater off and let the pump cycle. ( putting the heater on a timer.)

I was suprized at my last electric bill.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-05, 09:18 AM
generaljdog
Visiting Guest
If you leave it off during the week, nothing will move the water and you'd have to overload it with Chemicals to keep it clean. Part of why it runs the cycles it does is to keep the water running through the filter as well as heating it. I myself would not do it.

Old 06-14-05, 08:53 AM
I am a new hot-tub owner and we are getting ready to fill it this weekend (Master Spa Cap Code). We will be weekend users and had considered turning it off so I am glad I found this response. My question is if we miss a weekend and so have 2 weeks between chemical applications, will that be a huge issue? The dealer assured me it would not be an issue that we would only need to add chemicals and test the water closely. In fact, they thought it wouldn’t be terrible since there wouldn’t be anyone using it in the interim. What are your thoughts on how long it can be left unused? One more questions – I was told to expect about $30 a month. Does that sound about right or am I in for a big surprise!
Thanks