Pentair Minimax 400 NT Pool Heater

Old 05-18-05, 02:21 PM
htanner
Visiting Guest
Pentair Minimax 400 NT Pool Heater

I don't know if anyone here can help, but I have a new replacement pool heater that I need to connect electrically. This new pool heater is just a slightly newer model from the old pool heater, so my existing power should be fine. I've tested the wires with my handy, dandy tester, and they're OK (120V, hot, common, and ground).

My problem is that there is a connector block where they want you to connect the three wires, but the connectors are unlike anything I've ever seen.

For each of the three wires, it has a hole on the right where it appears the service wire is to be inserted, a wire connected on the left via a slide-on clip, and a screw on the top of the block.

When I pushed a service wire in, it started pushing the wire on the other side off the clip. So I loosened the screw figuring I should use it to hold the service wire, but when I did, the nut and clip fell off.

So I called Pentair's Customer Support to find out how this thing should be connected, and they told me they couldn't tell me because of liability issues, and that I had to call an electrician.

To connect three wires.

Before I cut off the connectors and just use twist-on wire nuts, I was hoping someone out there might help know how to use this connector.

Since pictures are much better than words for something like this, you can see pictures here:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePh...id=66413851507

Thanks for your help!
HT

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-05, 08:05 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
don't mean to be a smart a-- however , pentair is trying to, not help you void your warranty and or fry yourself,

if you will carefully read page 7 in your installation manual that came with your heater , its very clear how to connect the wiring, provided you are knowledgeable enough to understand electrical terms, example. line, load, neutral, if not its best advised to pass on this job and call a professional.

lol steve

Old 05-20-05, 09:54 AM
htanner
Visiting Guest
Steve, you're a riot. I don't know what manual you're referring to, but my manual that came with the unit says to connect the wires to the block. And page 7 starts the installation instructions.

In case anyone's interested, I figured it out last night by disassembling one of the others.

The U-shaped connector connected to the wire actually has a slot in the top of the U where the nut slides in, but there's nothing to hold it in place. That's where the separate U-shaped clip comes in.

This clip is actually thinner on the long side and fatter on the short side. The thinner side fits inside the U with the nut and goes behind the nut, and the fatter side goes on the other side of the nut and holds the nut in place.

The wire from the electrical service goes behind this assembly, and tightening the screw pushes the whole assmebly back against the wire and secures it in place.

Old 06-08-05, 06:42 PM
grafals
Visiting Guest
[QUOTE=htanner]I don't know if anyone here can help, but I have a new replacement pool heater that I need to connect electrically. This new pool heater is just a slightly newer model from the old pool heater, so my existing power should be fine. I've tested the wires with my handy, dandy tester, and they're OK (120V, hot, common, and ground).

By now you may have figured this out already, but the Minimax NT ships from the factory, configured for 240V, not 120V. It can be converted to 120V. Wiring instructions start on page 18 of the manual, which can be found here:

http://www.pentairpool.com/misc/owne...MiniMax_NT.pdf

Old 06-10-05, 08:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by htanner
In case anyone's interested, I figured it out last night by disassembling one of the others.

Why would this information be of any interest to anyone other than yourself? Any Competent installer would never have to ask this question or read your "how to" explanation on how you fixed it and I use "fixed" in the lightest sense. I just hope other HO's (Home Owners) don't need to utilize this type of information.

HO's nowadays love to DIY and I find nothing wrong with that, Since I myself fall into that category!! BUT sometimes while sitting down with a cup of coffee and the owners manual they often read right past the often used Warranty/ Safety disclaimer" Improper installation,alteration,service or maintenance can cause property damage, personal injury or death. Installation and service MUST be preformed by a licensed qualified installer, service agency or the gas supplier." Even with all that, most of the time a HO has a legal right to perform many things for themselves if local code dictates so and is in compliance. Just remember that only you will be held accountable for dropping your Warranty. These things are written for a reason, not to just protect the manufacturer but mainly the HO!!!! Much more to it since you are replacing your old HTR, Was the original Installed correctly? Outside the required distance of any opening into the dwelling? This is not meant to undermine your ability to do certain things, and wouldn't consider this a flame against you But be informed If I were to walk up to your heater and found something damaged by improper installation by you or a competent installer, any parts and labor to replace the components would not be covered under warranty. Those are the facts that will determine if they will honor any further warranty claims you may have been entitled to in the future. Food for thought.