Bromine v. Chlorine

Old 05-19-05, 10:19 AM
tgeorge2032
Visiting Guest
Bromine v. Chlorine

I have been using Bromine in my hot tub since inheriting it with my house 5-years ago, (mainly because that's what the previous owners used). Recently my brother also "inherited" a tub and went to the local spa company to get chemicals. The clerk at the store pushed him away from Bromine saying that Chlorine was the way to go.

I had always heard that in small spas, Bromine was better than Chlorine. What do you all think? Is one better than the other?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-05, 01:33 AM
Thumbs down No Advertisements Allowed

Bromine is the way to go. Chlorine will have an even stronger smell than chlorine will.

-Josh

Free quotes on pool, spa, and hot tub equipment and supplies. Just e-mail me at: [email protected].

Forum Monitors Note:
Signature Edited: Advertisements Not Allowed In Signatures Or In The Forums. Read The Rules. Member Banned.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 05-20-05 at 05:04 AM. Reason: No Advertisements Allowed
Old 05-21-05, 04:05 AM
Group Moderator
I first started my spa using chlorine. It had the usual chlorine smell, and tended to make some peoples skin feel dry and scratchy. It was cheap, but required chemicals to be added often

Then I thought about trying bromine but instead used Baquaspa. It was more expensive than chlorine but did not have a smell and seemed easier on the skin. It did tend to make a scum ring around the tub that needed occasional cleaning. I had to add chemicals less often than chlorine which was good.

About six years ago I switched to a silver ion and ozone system. The ozone generator and silver ion (Nature2) work all the time and you add a shock treatment once a week. Basically I don't have to add any chemicals to the spa except for the shock once a week. There is no smell, does not dry your skin or make you itch and the water has always been crystal clear. The ozone generator was a couple hundred dollars and the silver ion cartridge lasts three months and cost about $25.