Pool Light Problem With GFI

Old 05-19-05, 06:03 PM
Alan Russell
Visiting Guest
Pool Light Problem With GFI

Hi all,

I'm new here and glad to meet you..

Here's my problem..

I have a pool light that leads to a toggle switch. The circuit is hooked to a GFI receptacle in the service panel (year 1992) The GFI receptacle on the outside also runs my low voltage patio lights. When I turn the toggle switch (levoton single pole) on for the pool light, the GFI trips and needs to be reset only if the power supply for the patio lights is connected. BOTH GFI and Toggle components have been replaced.

How can I check to see if the ground on the pool light circuit is receiving a voltage. Also, if the pool light circuitry under water has found some water is there a way to check this with an ohm meter..

Finally, the bulb does not work..maybe the juice is not reaching it?

thanks all

Alan Russell

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-05, 08:43 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Allen the way i read your post is , the pool light trips the gfci breaker, only when you have your low voltage lights plugged in , if this is the case you diagnosed the problem yourself, the low voltage lights are tripping the gfci which supplies current to both circuits,

if this is not what you meant re-post,

to check the pool light without removing from the pool , go to your light j-box and disconnect the cord wires, black, white , with an ohm meter connect one end to the black wire the meter should zero out then connect one lead to ground meter should not register.

steve