Not sure what I have or where to start

Old 05-20-05, 03:54 PM
Big Dal
Visiting Guest
Question Not sure what I have or where to start

Hi all, hoping to get some advice from the spa experts here. Here's the deal... moved into a new house last August. There was an old hot tub in the back yard that one of the neighbors said had used, but they also said that the last homeowners said it needed some work before they moved out (and they probably haven't used in the last year they were in the house). Well, I finally got around to taking the cover off today and checking it out. Here's what I found (BTW, I am a complete hot tub noob other than what I've been reading the last couple of days at various websites).

Not sure how you measure, but from edge-to-edge of the wood framing it's a 7x7 foot square. Looks like there are four seats, each with a single jet. The side control has the name "Aqua Set", which from what I found on the net seems to be Len Gordon??? Under the side door there is a white box with a timer (model# FF-32ALTC-90)... not much luck for me on google whit that one. Also a Durajet model# JSAYEL-AU and a Auquatherm Corporation model# 12-743-1200. I assume these are the air pump and the heater??

So is this a Len Gordon hot tub? If not how can I find out the manufacturer? I was hoping I might be able to find a operations manual of some kind. Also, what do you suggest to start with from here? I did notice some cracks at various places, so I was thinking the first step would be just to fill her up and make sure there were no leaks. Other than that I'm not sure what to do. I'm fairly handy so I'd like to do as much as I can before I pay someone else. Does this sound like a tub I can do some work on myself?

Sorry for the long post.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-05, 09:05 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Big Dal, .

not sure of the brand, not that this will matter much, len gordon is a maker of air switches and later controls, started out in california, and apx 10 yrs. ago moved to nevada, las vegas i believe, if i remember correctly the sold out , however still sell controls under len gordon, the ff series stands for four function and your control has a time clock to turn the circulation pump on daily to maintain filtertration,

Aquaset is len gordon, they have digital as well as air switch type of control which seems to be your type due to the FF in the part number this is old standard len gordon numbering , I wouldn't worry about the heater as it will either work or it won't , if it doesn't you can get parts in many locations, i personally would , fill that sucker with water and see if you have any leaks, if no leaks, proceed into seeing what works and what doesn't, post back with updates and im sure someone will carry the ball to get you up and running.

steve

Old 05-21-05, 10:25 AM
Big Dal
Visiting Guest
Thanx stevie3x, I'll start with knocking all the bugs and dirt off and fill it up. The cover seems to be in good shape so cleaning shouldn't be too hard.

Old 05-22-05, 10:59 AM
Big Dal
Visiting Guest
Well good news and bad news for me.

Good: The fiberglass cleaned up very nicely. I was amazed that most all of the stains came off. Got a few stubborn ones that are like brown hard film (I think they may have been stains from leaves). I used a typical bath tub scrub brush for the others, but wasn't sure if I should use any particular type of cleaning agent. Any suggestions for cleaning those remaining ones?

Also, the tub has held the water level steady for about 22 hours now and there is not a single drop leaking from anywhere I can see.

Bad: I think it's a pretty good assumption that the previous owners never used it while they lived here... there's no wiring run to the back of the house for plugging the hot tub in. So what am I looking at now? The timer unit has a built-in GFCI and the cord is rather large and has a 3-prong plug with a ground and 2 flat prongs but 1 is at a 90 degree angle to the other. Is this standard for hot tubs? I haven't found any good pics on wiring and electrical parts for hot tubs (most are technical diagrams that are over my head).

I'm assuming I need a dedicated line from my circuit breaker??? This doesn't sound like a DYI for me. Anyone got a ballpark on what it would cost (I understand there are probably a lot of factors that can alter the price)? Also, is there viable way to test the tub before I go spending the money on having electrical run?

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated,
Dal

**UPDATE** Found a site with diagrams of plugs and connectors. According to their picture it is a 20 amp, 125 volt, 2-Pole, 3-Wire Grounding Male Plug. (looking face on to the plug with the ground prong at the top, the left flat prong is turned 90 degrees). Sorry for my lack of appropriate terminology.

Last edited by Big Dal; 05-24-05 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-23-05, 09:38 PM
S
you got it right ! run a dedicated 120v line from your main panel and unless your cord has a gfci on it you will have to add a gfci 20 amp breaker to this circuit.

steve

Old 05-24-05, 08:15 AM
Big Dal
Visiting Guest
Thanx Steve. Unfortunately I've run into a snag... I have no available slots in my main panel. I think I'll still pick up the line and just disconnect something and test the electrical on the tub, but if it's functional I'll have to start putting back a little money to get an electrician out to upgrade my main panel.

Old 05-24-05, 08:39 PM
S
good idea, freeing up breakers is generally fairly easy depending on the age, brand, of your panel, not a lot of $ required, and you can still add a sub panel just off to one side of your main panel , one thing at a time.

steve

Old 06-06-05, 06:58 AM
B
electrical

You can replace single breakers (1 inch) with 2 twin (1/2 inch breakers) to free up a slot, make sure the circuits you double up are the same i.e. 15 & 15 amp or 20 & 20 amp. You will have to double two to free up one slot. At least you can test the tub that way, if your not comfortable leaving it like that you can then go the sub panel or expanded panel route.

Old 06-07-05, 08:21 AM
Big Dal
Visiting Guest
baire, thanx for that bit of info... but it leaves me with another question, lol. I just want to make sure I understand you clearly. Right now I don't have any 20 amp breakers at the moment. I can't remember all that are in, but as best I can remember there are some 15s, 30s, and 60s.

So what you're saying is I might be able to get two 1/2-inch 15s to replace one 1-inch 15, then replace the other 1-inch 15 with two 1/2-inch 20s?

Old 06-07-05, 08:31 AM
S
thats correct , and you can also get the mini breakers in 30 amp. / 40 amp. and so on

steve