In Ground Pool Construction

Old 05-25-05, 08:01 AM
In Ground Pool Construction

My family has talked me into considering a pool, so at their request I began quoting in-ground pools.
I have had every all kinds of sales people come to visit over the past week, two were drunk, and one tried to pick up on my daughter…what’s up with that?

Anyway, after careful consideration, the only thing I have decided I like fiberglass better than concrete or vinyl.

The location I have selected for the pool is on a slope, and this is where the quotes go haywire, ½ of the guys won’t quote the pool unless the area is graded flat first, they contend that a pool can not be installed in any kind of fill, so I need to grade the area and install a retaining wall first. This will put the deck of my house about 5 feet above the pool.
The other half say…no problem…we can dig into the slope and move that dirt to the other side of the pool, and only have to go down about 3-4 feet, then backfill the low side up about 2-3 feet and install a small retaining wall, capped with the Kool deck. This will place the deck of my house just a few steps above the pool.

So my question is…which one of these guys is feeding me a line of crap. In my opinion either it can be done or it can’t.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-05, 09:32 PM
Hi steve, theres misfits in all areas, not being on site im at a disadvantage
however, if your installing a gunite pool i tend to side with those who want to level grade the yard and install a retaining wall, you don't want half the hillside winding up in the pool and or in your house,

number two, i personally wouldn't install a fiberglass pool on a bet, i spent 7 years in arizona [ fiberglass heaven ] and have seen first hand the problems associated with f/g pools same goes for vinyl liner, ask a lot of questions, ask other people with pools who built there pool and problems , if any, check there status with your state contractors office, get everything and i mean everything in writing, because in the event something does go wrong that is what will hold up in court and or with a state arbutrator, don't pay a lot of up front $ and get a lien release for any and all work, material, and employees on the job site. rember time is on your side .

lol steve

Old 05-26-05, 05:49 AM
Interesting, all my research points toward Fiberglass as being the superior product.
Installation time is shorter
Water turns are higher
Chemical cost is lower
Holds heat longer
Will not fade and the surface out lasts gunite by 10 times.
I am interested in what the pit falls are to fiberglass, and are they mainly installation related or is there some inherent problem with the fiberglass pools.

Old 05-27-05, 09:18 PM
Steve your statements, [ sounds like they came right out of a sales brochure,

there is structual warranty and surface warranty , read the warranty very carefully.

lol steve

Last edited by stevie3x; 05-27-05 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-31-05, 05:17 AM

Ok....lets say I have read the fine print....throw me a bone here....what types of problems do fiberglass pools have?
I only have a few guys to pick from in my area. The gunite pool guys are over 50 miles away, and want me to pay for lodging and expenses to drive out here to install a pool
This leaves me with a vinyl lined pool or Fiberglass.
I am trying to be as informed as I can be.

Old 05-31-05, 10:40 AM
Whichever type pool you choose if you have to build a retaining wall make sure you:

1. Construct it so that water collected on the hill side is carried around and away from the top of the wall. I failed to do this and had a muddy pool after the first large rain. I raised the wall by one block and sloped the dirt back to the base of the hill to creat a shallow drainage ditch which cured the problem.

2. Plan on water collecting between the wall and the edge of the pool apron, I installed a submersible sump pump and hit it with ground cover, this area acted as a catch basin and the water either rose up on to the concrete apron on seeped under the pool causing the liner to "float". After I took the proper corrective action the pool and wall look and work very well together. Good luck!