new inground pool install

Old 05-29-05, 01:26 PM
cailou
Visiting Guest
new inground pool install

Hi I have just recieved the steal for my new inground pool. Excavation is scheduled for this wednesday. I have never done this before so If anyone has any tips or secrets or do's and don't do's I would greatly apprecieate hearing them.

By the way its a 18 by 36 true L pool.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-05, 08:17 PM
are you going to owner / builder contract your pool ?

by the way hopefully you have professional people steel your pool , don't scrimp on steel a the L shape pool is the weakest design and needs the most structual steel.

steve

Old 05-30-05, 12:59 PM
I agree with stevie3x on this check your steel schedule, lots of lateral cracks in L pools

Old 05-31-05, 06:42 AM
cailou
Visiting Guest
yeah I'm doing it all myself. What do you mean by checking the steel schedule?
Is that the thickness?

Old 05-31-05, 10:30 AM
glad its you instead of me. I had mine installed and eventhough consider myself pretty construction savy would never attempt the project by myself, good luck.

Old 05-31-05, 09:11 PM
hopefully you pulled a permit, the building department will most often guide you through, and give you requirements, for steel, set backs, ele, etc.
depending on the depth , shape, [ L shape in your case ] next to a slope.

what dimension of rebar, how many inches on center, verticle and horizontal what requirements for the bond beam, and special shaped pools including your L shaped pool.

lol steve

Old 06-01-05, 12:15 AM
Engineered plans and a good soil engineer if you are attempting to build you pool yourself. An excavator that specializes in pool digging helps too.

Old 06-02-05, 06:56 PM
cailou
Visiting Guest
well I found an old school pool builder 30yrs and hired him. He wants me to send alot of stuff back because there no good.

I bought an Aqua Genie upgrade which replaces the main drain. He believes heavily in the main drain theory. Chlorine generator is not as good as old school chemicals. Any coments? And by the way he says L shaped pools are just as structurly sound as rectangle.? So many conflicting statements

Old 06-02-05, 09:55 PM
A pool is only as structurally sound as it is designed. This is why you get ENGINERED plans. If you pool is not designed right it can crack or move no matter what shape it is…Salt Generators are one of the fastest upgrades on pools in my area and most builders install them with there pools. Do a little research on chlorine and compare the price of the 2 over 5 years.

Old 06-03-05, 07:21 AM
your old school builder, needs to move into the 21 century, chlorine generators are the most proven superior technology for pool water chemistry
around, and like milleninumpools stated the shape & depth , soil conditions dictate the size, number and placement of structural steel for a pool, this is what we are trying to get across,

myself & others stay busy repairing " pool contractors , MISTAKES "

lol steve

Old 06-03-05, 07:28 AM
cailou
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys. I guess I am just surprised to here such differing opions.

What about the aqua genie versus the main drain skim system?

When I ordered all my stuff I tried to get the best to make my life easier.

Old 06-03-05, 04:49 PM
cailou
Visiting Guest
One more questions on the Aqua Rite chlorine generator. Does it tend to rot the metal because of the salt content?

Old 06-04-05, 07:41 AM
first off what is an aqua genie ?

second, no the chlorine generating sys will not bother the pool or equipment, instaed of the aqua rite system consider the one made by auto - pilot model dig-60 digital 5 year warranty, they have been making cl. gen. longer than all the rest, and in my opinion are the best,

steve

Old 06-04-05, 11:12 AM
cailou
Visiting Guest
here is a link to the Aqua Genie http://www.northwestwholesale.com/aqua-genie.htm

I've already bought the aqua rite but thanks anyway.

Old 06-04-05, 12:46 PM
sorry , went to web site searched for aqua genie no results

sounds like a brand of automatic cleaner ? ?

steve

Old 06-04-05, 10:25 PM
finally found the web site for aqua genie, basically it is a return that returns water down straight down in a sheet under pressure , its not clear if it has a skimmer built into the unit or uses a seperate skimmer,

personally having never seen one in a pool , its hard to say other than with a convential pool having a skimmer placed on one side and enough returns to disperse the water around the pool using directional fittings, the debris on the surface will move continously around the perimeter of the pool untill it finds its way into the skimmer, its also nice to have an automatic pool cleaner , the Hayward Navigator seems to work well in more pools than not,
this is a suction side cleaner that runs during the time your filter pump runs, like vacuuming your pool for you,

if you happen to have a super abundance of leaves, then i would go with the letro cleaner made by pentair / purex has 4 wheels, very stable, and a large mouth to suck up the biggest leaves, large easy to remove and clean bag. the down side is that it requires an additional booster pump .

when you know the dimension of your pool and how far away the equipment
is to be. post back and perhaps mellinempools or myself can give our recommendations.

your pool builder is going to hate all of us. oh well ,

lol steve

Old 06-05-05, 06:14 AM
cailou
Visiting Guest
I am kind of in a big field, trees are probably 300' away. My pool is 18X28X36 square L. I decided to send the A.G back which saved me some money. I have convinced him that I will be sticking with the chlorine genertor. I wish it would stop raining here so I can get this done before my hole becomes a clay soup.

Old 06-05-05, 10:15 AM
thats a large pool, trees that far should not be a problem unless of course it blows like theres no tomorrow, if you go with an in ground automatic cleaner youll need, a dedicated 1 1/2 " cleaner line [ this goes against "old school building methods also " in the old days [ hate to admit I also built pools the old way , however things changed for the better and we also must adapt where & when its indeed better and smarter ] a 3/4 " or 1 " line would be fine.
assuming your pool is an average of 5.5 ft deep [ 3 x 8 = 5.5 ] you will end up with apx. 33,000 gal , is the pool to have an attached spa, and how far away is the equipment to be located ? ?

steve

Old 06-05-05, 04:17 PM
cailou
Visiting Guest
21558 U.S gallons. No spa and will llikely build a sauna approx 10' away and trhat will house my pump and filter.

Old 06-14-05, 06:40 AM
my prefered equipment would be, 1.5 hp purex / pentair whisperflow pump, 60 sq. ft. d.e. filter purex / pentair , sta-rite maxi-therm 400,000 btu heater, hayward color changing light . hayward navigator cleaner .

steve