Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

HELP--I Cant Get Rid Of Algae No Matter What I Do

Old 05-30-05, 08:30 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We have an 18 x 36 inground pool, vinyl liner. It was built in the spring of 2003.

We have been fighting algae since the fall. The pool store said probably mustard algae. Treated for that, but it came back.

However, I think it's green algae. It's not yellow/pinkish color, it's green.

The chemicals are all as they should be, including ph and chlorine, both free and total

We have an inline chlorinator with 3" tabs, and it's not empty, and we have the setting on 3-5, depending on what it needs/how many people are swimming.

We've scrubbed the algae off with the brush, shocked, added algaecide, vacuumed with the manual vacuum, re-brushed the entire pool (sides, floor, steps, every crevice we could see, steps, etc) reshocked, and continue to add maintenance algaecide (10%). When we did the initial treatement/cleaning, we used 50% algaecide.

We also clean with our polaris every other day, and keep the baskets emptied, etc.

Chemicals/chlorine,ph, etc. have all been maintained. Three weeks later, it's coming back again.

We have backflushed after the treatment, a few days later as well, and last week since the pressure went up to 20.

Green algae is growing in the glass tube that is on the pump.

What could be the problem? Why can't we get rid of this, when we've done everything possible?

We have a sand filter, and like I said, it's only on it's 3rd season.

We keep the pump running/water circulating all winter, we don't close the pool up.

Thanks for the help.

Edited to add: While doing all the cleaning/treating, we had the pump running 24 hours a day for over 10 days to make sure everything was well circulated. Otherwise, we run it 8 hours on, 4 hours off, 8 hours on, 4 hours off (on a timer)--so it runs a total of 16 hours a day.

The filter is a Hayward Sand Filter

The pool is about 25,000 gallons

Last edited by Marc31605; 05-30-05 at 08:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-05, 06:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 57 Votes on 47 Posts
Have you tried a copper-based algaecide? Really works for me and with our DE filter I have "0" algae problems. This is the one we use:

http://www.intheswim.com/Commercial-...gaecide-Value/

More expensive than the others, but well worth the cost. Yopu can find similar products anywhere that carries pool supplies, Wal_mart, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

Old 05-31-05, 09:44 AM
W
Have you ever changed the sand in your sand filter?

Old 05-31-05, 01:03 PM
M
No, we've never changed the sand. The pool and filter were installed in March of 2003.

We run it 12 months a year.

Surely it wouldn't need changed already would it?

As for the copper based algecide, isn't that what the 10% is that we use for maintenance?

The 50% one I used was Aqua Chem--I don't know if that is copper based or not. I got it at Lowes.

We are on City water if that makes a difference, and really haven't had much rain this spring to add to the algae problem.

Plus, even when we had record rains the first year, we never had an algae problem. We didn't have any algae problems until this fall when it all started.

Old 05-31-05, 04:30 PM
S
1. no your sand should not need to be changed this soon,

2. sand filters do not remove as small of particles as a d.e. filter you need to add a filter aid, backwash add recommended amount of filter aid , backwash every week and add the filter aid after the backwash, if the pressure on your filter increases 6 psi from your initial starting psi [ after backwash ] don't wait the full week , backwash.

3. buy a quart of applied biochemist pooltrine copper based algaecide, guaranteed to kill your algae , follow directions on the label.

steve

Old 05-31-05, 06:05 PM
M
What type of filter aid are you talking about?

Old 05-31-05, 09:38 PM
S
Alum is one, pool stores carry some brand of filter aid for sand filters or can get it.

steve

Old 05-31-05, 09:46 PM
M
Thanks, I'll check into that.

What exactly does the filter aid do? It's not the same thing that clarifiers will do when they say it has a filter enhancer is it?

Old 06-01-05, 06:02 AM
Group Moderator
And the 50%/10% algaecides you have been using are probably not copper-based. Check the labels for active ingredients.

Old 06-01-05, 10:43 AM
M
I know the 10% is copper based, not sure about the 50%, since that bottle was used and thrown away.

I'll make sure I get one this time.

Thanks for all the info, hopefully we can finally get rid of it.

Explain this to me: In the fall, when I took a water sample to the pool store when this problem began, their read out said my copper level was HIGH. If it was high, shouldn't the algae problem have gone away?

I don't trust their readings. They had me adding so many chemicals with their recommendation after the water test I would have spent $100's of dollars. I couldn't believe the amount of each product they were recommending we put in. All to sell me their products, which I didn't buy there anyway.

I'm not saying my pool didn't need their recommended chemicals, but certainly not in the amount they were saying. We even asked our pool builder and he laughed as well.

Old 06-01-05, 04:00 PM
Group Moderator
Good question. Might be a matter of what form or type of copper I suppose. I'm not a chemist, so I don't know if the copper compound in the algaecides would give a high reading similar or the same as having naturally occuring copper in your water supply or whether the naturally-occuring copper would be an algae deterent. Are you on well water by any chance?

Old 06-01-05, 04:04 PM
S
hi again Marc, to put a little perspective on things I submit the following, based on swimtrine plus algaecide a quart retails for, $18.00 incl. tax
application with visable algae [ which you have ] is 3 oz. per 10,000 gal
since you stated you have 25,000 gal you would add 7.5 oz. of swimtrine
which figures out to $ .56 per ounce or $ 4.20 initial dose and a preventative dose of 1.5 oz per 10,000 gal every two weeks = $ 2.52 every two weeks.

how does that compare with what you were told. ?

steve

Old 06-01-05, 09:11 PM
M
the tow guy, no, we are not on well water. We are on city water, last year they started adding chloramines in 2003 (instead of chlorine)

steve,

Where do you buy that brand of algaecide? Pool Store?

Initially with water read out in fall, they recommended we add 18 lbs. of calcium hardness, and tons of other chemicals. I added 4 lbs of calcium hardness and it was high. I don't even remember the rest, all I know is it was probably 4 or 5 times more than we needed to add.

Old 06-01-05, 09:32 PM
S
most pool supply stores have it , or can get it.

steve

Old 06-02-05, 06:00 AM
Group Moderator
18 POUNDS??? Good thing you didn't put that much in; the water probably would have been hard enough to walk on. Sounds like someone left out the decimal when they read you what to use. Maybe they meant 1.8 pounds?

Old 06-02-05, 10:57 AM
M
No, it was actually a computer print out.

Every chemical they said our water needed was in ridiculous amounts.

That's why we didn't follow their instructions, since we knew better. Same thing with the amount of other chemicals they recommended.

I think that is their sales ploy to WAY over state what you need.