Air leaking into filter

Old 06-01-05, 10:19 AM
pa_eric
Visiting Guest
Question Air leaking into filter

Hi all,

I have an in-ground concrete pool that I believe is about 25 years old. I just moved into this house last year, and I continue to learn the joys of an old pool.

I just opened it up for the season, and I thought everything was good. There was some suction from the skimmers and some water being returned. But the pressure reading on my Nautilus stainless steel filter was barely above zero (like 0.5).

While the pump was running, I opened the air bleeder valve on the filter, and a fair bit of air came out. Closed that, opened it 2 minutes later, and another fair bit of air came out. Repeat.

I don't see any air leak at the pump skimmer basket. I fear that I have a leak somewhere between the pump and the filter. Does that sound reasonable? If so, how do I find it?

Thanks for any help.

Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-05, 09:44 PM
Air leak or suction leak comes before the pump, if it is after the pump it will leak water. Check the pump pot o-ring and make sure it has a good seal .Also check the fitting going into the front of your pump, make sure it is tight…. those are the 2 most common suction leak locations. Remember suction leak can be anywhere in front of the pump all the way back to the skimmer at the pool…At 25 years old this increases the locations of the leak…