Above ground pool problems

Old 06-04-05, 11:49 AM
KCPainter
Visiting Guest
Angry Above ground pool problems

Hello, I just moved into a house last week that has a 14000 gal. above ground pool,. When we first saw the house it was a little before pool season andin the contract we added that we wanted the pool opened for the season , to verify it was functional. The day that we moved in however the pool was open, but there was foam all over the top. We talked to the previous homeowner, which said it never done this before, and she took a sample to the nearest pool store. They gave her some chemicals and she brought them back, they were some shock , stabalizer, antifoam, and maybe one more that escapes me right now. She put them all in there after we backwashed it and cleaned the filter. The antifoam took care of the foam, but the pool is still coudy and lots of surface and perhaps bottom debris. I am a rookie when it comes to pools but i know something isn't right. Is the filter bad, too small how many skimmers on the side of the pool should there be, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx
KC

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-05, 07:47 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KCPainter
the pool is still coudy and lots of surface and perhaps bottom debris. I am a rookie when it comes to pools but i know something isn't right. Is the filter bad, too small how many skimmers on the side of the pool should there be, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx
KC
1) Empty the skimmer basket (on the side of the pool) ... and there should only be one.
2) Empty the basket in the pump
3) Skim the surface dirt / debris / leaves from the pool.
4) Vacuum the bottom of the pool (doing the sides never hurts either)
5) Using your chlorine / ph testing kit, test the water and add chlorine or ph+ / ph- as necessary.

If you're not sure how to test the chlorine or ph levels of your pool, walk into your local pool retailer and ask, they'll likely either discuss it with you or hand you a pamphlet on how to do it. You could also bring a sample of your water with and have it tested and they'll tell you exactly what you have to add and in what quantities.

If the pool is still murky / dirty even after cleaning and treating with chlorine, it may be time to replace the sand in the filter.

Old 06-08-05, 09:19 PM
KCPainter
Visiting Guest
Appreciate the reply, and I've done all the suggested options. The water is still cloudy however . The previous homeowner told us that the sand was 1 or 2 yrs old, can't recall exactly at this time, although if there is a sure fire way to test the sand I'd like to know! We've had a lot of rain recently but the neighbors on both side of me don't seem to have a problem , but so far not very social to chat with to pick their brain, working on it though. Also I have taken samples to the pool store, and the reading they printed out said that I had .5 chorline and everything else was at acceptable levels. Is it possible to use super shock in it to reach a level of 6.0 to possibly burn out all the cloudyness, and how much shock would that take (14000 gal.)? I do appreciate any help i may recieve I am a rookie, but it is a great learning experience so i don't mind if you people don't.

Thanx
KC