outdoor spa install

Old 04-16-00, 10:03 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

IM ABOUT TO PUT A USED, 4 PERSON SPA(HOT TUB) ON MY SCREENED IN DECK,I'M LOOKING FOR TIPS ON ADDING INSULATION TO MAKE IT MORE EFFICIENT AND HOW TO REDUCE THE VIBRATION AND NOISE THAT MAY TRANSFER INTO THE HOUSE?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-05, 11:23 PM
jon-m
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up 4 person spa install

if i were you i would check with biulding dept. and prety sure you will need to get it engenered beacuse of the weight. I would go on line find aprox. wieght of you spa figure gallons of water your spa holds and multaply gallonsX's 8.33. there is 8.33lbs per gallon of water plus your spa.

Old 09-22-05, 04:15 PM
Group Moderator
Adding extra insulation to your spa will depend on your spa. Some spas come from the factory filled solid with insulating foam while others have fiberglass batts stuffed into the cabinet and some have nothing.

One of the easiest things to do is get a good cover. You can search online for an aftermarket supplier. They also come in varying thicknesses so you can get the amount of insulation you want. While you are at it, a cover lift is worth every penny. They can make it really easy to handle those large covers.

I'm not sure there is much you can do to insulate the spas vibration from your house. The spa is very heavy so setting the spa on a rubber mat probably will not do much. Having a good sturdy base/foundation for the spa will be the best thing for limiting vibration and noise. A weak, shaky deck will make vibrations more noticable.

Old 09-22-05, 04:24 PM
hottubphd
Visiting Guest
insulation and isolation...

IM ABOUT TO PUT A USED, 4 PERSON SPA(HOT TUB) ON MY SCREENED IN DECK,I'M LOOKING FOR TIPS ON ADDING INSULATION TO MAKE IT MORE EFFICIENT AND HOW TO REDUCE THE VIBRATION AND NOISE THAT MAY TRANSFER INTO THE HOUSE?
Adding insulation may not be necessary. Depends on what is under there now. After about 4" of 2# foam the law of diminishing returns takes over.
A new cover, or like new is an excellent pace to start for economy.

For the pump, you can get semi-hard foam rubber, (neoprene) that will act as a dampener this can be placed under the whole spa or under the pump and pack, for added acoustic insulation.