Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Building my own inground pool, help me!!!

Building my own inground pool, help me!!!

Old 06-05-05, 03:05 PM
dthunderdj
Visiting Guest
Question Building my own inground pool, help me!!!

I am looking for some help. I am very close personal friends with a pool construction company owner in Pennsylvania. I have just purchased a home in St. Petersburg, FL and I want to install an inground pool in the back yard. My friend is going to come down to florida and run the construction for me and purchase the pool hopefully saving me thousands of dollars. My question is what I need to obtain in order to build this pool. Do I need to get any permits, my friend is licenced in PA, will this create any problems for me? Basically I am just looking for help in what I must do before I break ground. If anyone can help me on these questions and maybe give me any other advice on florida pool construction I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-05, 07:54 AM
your friends lic. will probably not let hit legally build in florida using his lic. , however you should be able to pull a building permit as owner / builder I suggest you go down to your building dept. and ask them what is required to build your own pool, they should give you specs. and requirements, that your builder friend can run with, he should be able to make contact with the local pool wholesale supply houses for equipment & material.

steve

Old 06-06-05, 12:21 PM
Group Moderator
Let me be a little more forcefull in seconding steve's comments:

UNLICENSED CONTRACTING IN THE STATE OF FLORIDA IS A F-E-L-O-N-Y. This includes contractors with out-of-state licenses.

Lots of out-of-state contractors found that out the hard way after last year's hurricane invasion and it wasn't because they weren't forewarned.

Having said that, I'm sure there are ways to legally get around that part of the project. Be sure to check on the requirements for fencing or enclosing the pool; probably required.

We've had a VERY wet spring; a pool job could be interesting.

And welcome to the Sunshine State neighbor, but watch how you drive in Pinellas County; the-tow-guy's little brother is a Deputy with the PCSO.