Required Heater Capacity

Old 06-05-05, 03:42 PM
ash-n-ali
Visiting Guest
Question Required Heater Capacity

I am looking at putting a natural gas heater on my in-ground pool. I already have natural gas service at the house, and it is close to the pump and filter.

I live in a warm part of Canada, and my pool is 19' x 36' kidney shape. We guess it at 80,000 L (approx 20,000 US Gallons)

What size heater should I use? Will 200,000 BTU be enough? ( I found a 200,000 BTU Hayward unit used in the paper, but don't know if it will do the job. )

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-05, 07:40 PM
the heater is marginal , however it will work , but first you must tell us how far from the gas meter to the pool heater and what size pipe is installed .?

steve

Old 06-10-05, 10:27 AM
ash-n-ali
Visiting Guest
Thanks for responding, Steve

The heater will be installed about 4-5 feet from the gas meter, and the pool uses 1 1/2" lines. The pool is about 12-15 feet from the pump/filter/heater location.

However, I was planning on putting in a rock water feature at one end of the pool, and was going to move the whole pump/filter/heater to a small pumphouse behind that waterfall. That location would be very close to the pool, obviously, but would be approximately 25 feet from the gas meter.

Judging from your previous response, I'm guessing I should go with a 250,000 BTU unit minimum?

Thanks

Old 06-10-05, 10:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ash,
HTR sizing should always be considered when selecting. It gives you an understanding on what IS NOT going to be adiquite. Doesn't matter if it's 5 ft or 70ft away from the gas supply as long as the new Lines and existing system can handle the gas load needed at the HTR. The longer the line and the more BTU's The larger the gas supply needs to be. Check with your gas utility. In my experience I will suggest not just the minimum but What can you afford? There isn't a large price difference between the 250,000btu and a 400,000btu HTR. If you can afford the latter do so (only diff will be original outlay of funds) You will not use anymore gas to heat your pool to the desired temp by going larger , but you will cut the heating time down.

Old 06-10-05, 04:06 PM
all of your 400.000 btu heaters will work using a 1 1/4 " gas line up to 100 ft. from the meter , the new sta-rite maxi-therm has an efficiency of 84 % one of the highest with out buying a $5000.00 heater.

steve

Old 06-10-05, 04:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you want to go with something smaller thats your choice. Output would still be twice that of the largest heatpump on its best day. be wary of Used items in the paper. The "it used to work before I took it out" kills me everytime.

It makes me money to repair something somebody got cheap after the fact, but always feel sorry for those who get stuck.

Last edited by poolspapro_com; 06-10-05 at 06:19 PM.