DE at Bottom of Pool

Old 06-10-05, 10:38 AM
DE at Bottom of Pool

Hello All,

Just bought a newer house with pool. Two weeks ago I opened the pool.
The filter was broken down and stored indoors. I followed all directions
from the Hayward documentation on the filter. OK...

When I uncovered the pool the water was crystal clear but the bottm was
covered with DE.

I ran the filter for a couple days (4 hours/day) and then I vacummed the pool.
The DE clouds up the water before I can finish leaving me to restart vacumming the next day. I am up to the 4th time vacumming and it is only getting a little better. I dont know if the DE is coming back into the pool via the filter...

Afer the second time I broke the filter down and cleaned everything out...

Could there be a problem with the cartridge? Should I keep vacumming? Any help is appreciated. This is my first pool and Im learning. Thanks

My pool is a 18x36 4foot deep. I have a Hayward DE filter with a 1.5 HP pump.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-05, 11:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't encounter many Media Filters (DE) here but I will try my best.
Since your pool is full of DE now I assume when the old owners broke the system down for the winter (We Also don't do that in Florida) and failed to flush the media out before removing. Now If you installed the grids in the filter correctly and there are no holes in the screens then it should be collecting whatever you are vacuuming. I have only started up a few here and once put together I was told (actually I read the instructions ) that I was to introduce the DE into the skimmer quickly enough that it would coat the grid screens to the desired charge and not allow any damage to said grids. Bull droppings? I'm not sure, I don't clean pools,so Hope someone else has more insite into why it seems to return to the pool. Good luck and let us know what it was.

Old 06-10-05, 12:07 PM
Wink

Like said look for leaks on the grids there in the filter. I had some DE comeing back to the pool here and pulled the filter grids put some duct tape over one or two small holes in it. Turned the pump back on and put DE in the skimmer. Work just fine. I have had 4 pools down here in Fl now and this one with the DE on grids is the best filter set up I have had. Also Home Depot has Pool time water clarifier get some it help also.

ED

Old 06-10-05, 03:34 PM
d.e. can only return to the pool in the following manner, grids, manifold, [ the part the grids connect to ] or the backwash valve.

the only other way and this is not on the return side, if you have an air leak in any above ground plumbing, filter, heater , pump , when the system shuts off d.e. can back out of the filter ending up in the skimmer and bottom, main suction [ erroneously referd to as main drain ] . unless you have a check valve , preferably before the pump , or between the pump and filter .

steve

Old 06-10-05, 07:45 PM
Another thing to check for is that if your pool has solar on it and there is no check valve before the solar manifold, this can be a cause of DE at the main drain or skimmer when the solar drains. Sounds like tear in the grids or bad o-rings in the backwash valve. High grade silicone can fix small tears in the filter grids.

Old 06-14-05, 08:24 AM
Fixed

Thanks for the replies.. I replaced the cartridge ($200 ouch!) and after a good vacuuming and 3 hours of filtering the water is crystal clear... I did not see any visable tears or holes in the old one but I guess there was. Thanks again.

Old 06-14-05, 04:07 PM
Pain

Sorry for the Ouch!! but now atleast you can enjoy the pool. Recreation can hurt sometimes. Thanks for the follow up !